• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Input low pass preferred method

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a preferred method for a sub-20kHz low pass filter at the input of the first (CC) tube stage?? I could use a high value gridstopper (e.g. 56k) and utilize the miller capacitance, or could go with 1k and a 100pF cap between anode and grid. Perhaps it doesn't matter, but I'm just curious.

Last edited:
It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish and why. Grid stoppers are included to de-Q parasitic resonant circuits that lead to instability.

Are you trying to keep out RF as would be the case for a modulator? Roll off the highs to conserve bandwidth? Signal processing?

"...go with 1k and a 100pF cap between anode and grid"

This is done with solid state amps to establish a dominant pole. It's seldom required for hollow state since the OPT already establishes a dominant pole. Also, hollow state, being Hi-Z, doesn't have the BW of solid state. It also doesn't require it since you don't need the same levels of NFB that SS amps require.

As for implementation, there are a lot of choices, both passive and active.

Hi miles, it's all for the sake of experimentation. To see (hear) how a roll off past 15kHz for example actually affects the overall sound. And to keep the 20+ kHz out of the circuitry (if it's even necessary). Having some fun with tubes :). The project is an OTL SRPP+ headphone amp (already sounds awesome!). A very large gridstopper seems a bit foolish, but I've seen values as large as 100k. I do find the simplicity quite elegant, that's why I was wondering if it's 'not done' or common practice.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.