• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PSE 300B "French connexion"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

To follow Tribute OPT for PSE 300B thread, here's the one refering directly to my project. I will use this place to give some details concerning what has been thrilling me since 18 months now! I will also put some pictures of the differents steps of this demarche.

In the beginning, I was looking for an at least enough "powerfull" tube amp running in single ended (SE) class A tube operation. At that time, I was considering using those mono-blocks with my Harbeth SHL5. Those are not sensitive speakers but they never go below 6 ohms of impedance and I had good results with 20W amplifier. Now, that I've build my 100 dB, 3 ways, AMA 3x100 speakers, I'm planning to use the PSE 300B with these.

One of my motivation was also to work with the "Queen of triode", the mythical 300B. I had in my mind some design which interested me, for example Manley's Neo-Classic 300B and the Audio Note Legend PSE 300B. Them were around 20W which sound go to me.

After this, I came across this thread on Elektor's french forum:

PSE300B 15W merci Francis - ELEKTOR.fr | Électronique : Analogique Numérique Embarqué Microcontrôleurs Audio Test Mesure

That was it! The project that suited my needs! So I contacted Dominique (frermaboul) to ask him if I could use his schematic, which he accepted after making sure that was not for a commercial purpose. Which is clearly not. Just personal fun and satisfaction.

Since that day, September 2012, Dominique, from France, is always there on a regular basis to help me through all the steps. Plus, here in Québec, a friend of mine, Raphael, originaly from Switzerland, is also there to help me. Hence the name PSE 300B "French connexion".

This project mainly took the design of Dominique and make some changes to optimized it to work in a full frequencies way (Dominique use it for its mid and highs of his JBL speakers with an OPT designed for this but he also have the full frequencies OPT). Originally, he tried to apply as its best Francis Ibre's tube amplifier construction advices contained in its book Bien entendu, itinéraire d'un audiophile, Elektor's edition.

So, I was on my way to begin the project. Never realized how much time I will have to spend on this and how much I will learn on tube amplification.

Here's few pictures and the story will soon continue...

Sébastien

Wooden frame

Boîtier non vissé.jpg

Hi,

Good luck with the project, it's a well thought out design.

Well worth reading indeed. Mr. Francis Ibre is Morgan Jones' French twin brother. :)

Ciao, ;)

Hi fdegrove,

I know Morgan Jones by name but I haven't read any of its publications. On my side, as Elektor's french forum is my main influence, I'm more about Francis Ibre, Jean Hiraga and Rinaldo Bassi works for examples.

Later today, I'll try to post some precision about what was intended by this PSE 300B.

Sébastien

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

On my side, as Elektor's french forum is my main influence, I'm more about Francis Ibre, Jean Hiraga and Rinaldo Bassi works for examples.

It was on Elektor.fr that I first saw your amp project. I have friends posting there as well. Maybe I will subscribe myself as well later on.
I always have a good laugh when I read all these questions about getter such and such then this or that kind of mica etc.
Poor Francis must have some regrets having written that book....:D

Jean Hiraga? You guys should have been there with us at "La Maison de L'Audiophile" back in the Seventies.
I know all of these guys since I often travelled to Paris supplying them and....L"aerospatiale" with valves....:cool:

Ca, c'etait la connexion Franco-Belge de dantan.

A+

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

@Kevin:

I don't think Jean Hiraga participates on the Elektor forum (or any other forum as far as I'm aware).
My favourite book by his hand together with the early series of "L'Audiophile" where he participates as a co-author is "Initation aux amplis a tubes".

Francis Ibre has written several books but the one that I suspect you'll find most fascinating is his "Bien Entendu, Itineraire d'un Audiophile"

So get yourself a "Petit Larousse" and enjoy.

Ciao, ;)

Hi everyone.

As promise, here are the main orientations of those PSE 300B, as stated by Dominique on Elektor:

•They are in mono-blocks pair
•There is a delay at the ignition and one at the shooting down, these powered by an independant transformer
•Power transformer is of right size and in HiB sheet metal
•The filaments are continuously powered, with active regulation and passive filter at output
•The high voltage line is vacuum tube rectified, with double selfs/capacitor, calculated to give an excellent balance between noise rejection and the respect of the audio signal envelope
•Use of NOS triodes on the stages that processed small signal
•Output transformer (OPT) originally intented to be developed by Giuseppe Bartolucci but finally designed by Pieter Treurniet from Tribute which are nanocristallin Finement 0.022mm lamination, double "C" cores (around 1680 Ohms at primary)
•Automatic polarisation independant for each 300B and adjustable
•Mass schemes without impedance sharing between 3 stages. These are split in 3 differents places on a copper rod
•Efficient use of audiophile grade components
•Protection of all the circuits

That's pretty much it! :)

Sébastien

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi,

@Kevin:

I don't think Jean Hiraga participates on the Elektor forum (or any other forum as far as I'm aware).
My favourite book by his hand together with the early series of "L'Audiophile" where he participates as a co-author is "Initation aux amplis a tubes".

Francis Ibre has written several books but the one that I suspect you'll find most fascinating is his "Bien Entendu, Itineraire d'un Audiophile"

So get yourself a "Petit Larousse" and enjoy.

Ciao, ;)

I've had a copy of Hiraga's: "Initation aux amplis a tubes" for about 20yrs now, the gift of a long forgotten benefactor.. My French is very rusty, but I surprisingly don't usually have too much trouble with technical French. I will put Bien Entendu on my list of books to get.

Actually, my project is on its final stretch. In the last week, I finalized some drawing of the mass schemes with the help of Dominique. I should be able to complete the building of them in the next two weeks.

Then, it will be the time of the differents setting with the help of my friend Raphael.

I'll report later with picture when I'll have finish the building.

See you soon,

Sébastien

I'm a big fan of Jean Hiraga, a shame really that his book was never translated into English. I will have a look at the French forums to see what these two fellows have to say..

I'm planning on picking up a couple of Francis Ibre's books, any specific recommendations? (in French)

Hi Kevin,

I agree with you regarding Jean Hiraga's book. This guy if of such an important person because if many of us here and there in Europe or America share the passion of single ended tube amplifiers, Hiraga is the main raison behind. That's the one who have done the bridge between those practices in Japan and the rest of the world.

Regarding Francis Ibre, if I'm right, he has written 3 books on Elektor's editions. I've got the three so here's a quick word on each one.

Bien entendu, itinéraire d'un audiophile
: this book rakes large by treating of psycho-acoustic, differents ways to optimized your system, your room, power supply, amplifiers, speakers, tubes, DIY cables, etc... Pretty complete with excellent ideas.

Bien entendu - ELEKTOR.fr | Électronique : Analogique Numérique Embarqué Microcontrôleurs Audio Test Mesure

Tubes audio, ancients et récents: it concentrate on the tube world. From their construction and the history of the main NOS and new production. It contains a lot of pictures, many cues to identify the tubes and suggestions with sonic caracteristics for the main tube's families. The second edition contain a repertoire of ALL the builder or reseller to find your way through what is sometime a real mess in the tube world.

Tubes audio anciens & récents - ELEKTOR.fr | Électronique : Analogique Numérique Embarqué Microcontrôleurs Audio Test Mesure

Audio tubes, caractéristiques et utilisation: is a more technical book in the way that it presented all the caracteristics of the main tubes in many catagories of them. You have the pinout, graphs, some circuits, tube's equivalent for each, etc... Very helpful for a DIYer.

Livre « Audio Tubes - caractéristiques et utilisation » de - ELEKTOR.fr | Électronique : Analogique Numérique Embarqué Microcontrôleurs Audio Test Mesure

Have a good day,

Sébastien

Hi everyone,

I had the chance to work about 15 hours on my project this week and I complete almost everything. There is only a grid to install on the bottom of the amps and the setting for the reulators and working point of the tubes. I'll have to wait for a friend of mine to do it and take some measure also.

Here's some pictures took today. I placed the tubes on the amplifier for the first time in 18 months!!!

Sébastien

Attachments

• PSE 300B LA PAIRE.JPG
    PSE 300B LA PAIRE.JPG
    637.7 KB · Views: 312
  • PSE 300B PAIRE DIAGO.JPG
    PSE 300B PAIRE DIAGO.JPG
    627.4 KB · Views: 300
  • PSE 300B PAIRE DE HAUT.JPG
    PSE 300B PAIRE DE HAUT.JPG
    632.3 KB · Views: 288
  • PSE 300B Séb intérieur.JPG
    PSE 300B Séb intérieur.JPG
    604.2 KB · Views: 274
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.