6n6p tube buffer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2014, 09:47 PM   #1
Trileru is offline Trileru  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default 6n6p tube buffer

Hello.
I have an AK4396 DAC with an opa827 on the output stage.
I've been thinking for some time now of making a tube buffer, and I happen to have a few 6n6p tubes around.
I've drafted a cathode follower that sims good but I'm wondering what else could I do so I could improve the design?
At the moment I made it so it connects to the opamp output. Is there any advantage to bypass the opamp and connect the differential output to the buffer? I don't know how to adapt the schematic for that, sadly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6n6p.jpg (200.3 KB, 314 views)
Attached Files
File Type: asc 6n6p.asc (2.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 22nd February 2014, 06:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

How about Broskie Cathode Follower? Or, in the same article you can find by google, the Unbalancer?
Old 22nd February 2014, 08:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Unbalancer looks real nice, but I'd like to do a point to point wiring. Need to study the PDF and online article some more.
Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Trileru,
Do you have a schematic of the DAC output with the OPA827? Instead of just plugging in a buffer after the 827, which will have very little impact I think, we could look at the whole to make suggestions.
Cheers, Erik
Old 22nd February 2014, 11:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is the schematic, I think it's for AK4393 but should be the same for AK4396 minus output stage I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: png image (1).png (49.0 KB, 247 views)
Old 23rd February 2014, 02:18 AM   #6
wa2ise is offline wa2ise  United States
diyAudio Member

I would have connected the output coupling cap on the cathode. Any reason to connect it to the junction of R1, R2 and R4?
Old 23rd February 2014, 03:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
I would have connected the output coupling cap on the cathode. Any reason to connect it to the junction of R1, R2 and R4?
I decided to do that after reading:
The Valve Wizard -Cathode Follower

More exactly this phrase:
"The output coupling capacitor will also need to be a high-voltage type, and can be chosen based on whatever you happen to be plugging the cathode follower into. Adding a resistor (around 1k) in series with the output will ensure stability, although it is rarely a problem. The output signal could also be taken from the junction of Rb, Rl and Rg. The signal will be slightly attenuated, but stability is ensured since Rb is then in series with the output impedance."

I guess I could take the signal directly from K. Anyway, I'm thinking of doing the Unbalancer circuit if it happens that I do need the extra gain.
As it stands now, the output of the dac is about 2Vpp.

Hide this!Advertise here!