• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

45 SET : tubelab vs get*set*go vs ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sorry to rehash such a subjective topic, but i'm having trouble making a decision.

The scenario - a guy sold me a very large box of old tubes for $20 from the 20's and 30s, including a number ( maybe 12 or so ) of globe style 45's, some of which tested new on a Hickock mutual conductance tester. I was elated.

I've been using a pair of heathkit w4's in my main system, and a nice Pilot 1060M-based EL84 PP quad amp in my office, so this will make for a fun project with a different sounding amp.

I can hand-wire just fine ( i build a lot of guitar amps), but i feel like i kinda want to do a PCB based build on this one so i don't have to sweat noise and lead dress as much.

I can't decide between the more complex / regulated circuit of Tubelab SE board, or modding Shannon's Get*set*go board to accept a 45.

The CCS on the driver for the tubelab circuit seems really promising... but, damn, i'm a sucker for layout symmetry and i love how the get*set*go seems has it. :)

Opinions? Alternatives? I kind of want a tried and true design i can spin up with relative ease.

Last edited:
I speak not against anyone's products, but IMHO, it is Tubelab without any question.
There are many reasons for my opinion, but for starters it's designed for 45's.

Also, before you dispose of any potential surplus 45's, put some hours on them.
A problem could appear that a minute or two in a tubetesters didn't disclose and some may test better. It can take a while to wake up the getter etc. Etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.