• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL32 tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi diyer!

I made one amplifier with two EL32s.
but, the sould is OK but, doesn't make me satisfy.
Anybody have amplifier schematic with this tubes?
I have tested with triode mode and pentode mode too.
but, the sound doesn't getting better.:dead:

I hope to hear from expert of this tube.:xeye:

bye

I have not come across this tube used in the output of any quality amplifier - I've seen it used as the output in old AC/DC receivers and I believe it was used in car radios also, as the heater current was quite low (200ma).

Its most popular use in the UK was in switching gear in telephone exchanges where its low power consumption and low heat generation enabled large numbers of these tubes to be used in close confinement. I have several of these tubes in their CV and VT equivalents (CV1052 and VT52) all stamped GPO (General Post Office), who used to run our telephone exchanges until the 1980s. It was used in Services equipment also because of its economy in power use.

It is the electrical equivalent of the EL2 - a European side contact tube of the 1930s - as radio designers in the UK generally preferred to use octal types as opposed to the side contact tubes made popular at one time in Europe by Philips and Mullard.

Really hard to tell what is the problem or it is just the way it is with the EL32 tubes. Would you be able to give more detail (like circuit, bias point, transformer used etc.)? Also what is your reference for good sound or OK sound? Did you compare with other better known tube amp?

I want to hear from your own experiance.
Not just guess as if.

I have change bias and power volts,G2 volts and pre tubes.
I have tested the mode of pentode cause of it's a pentode.
but, when i changed the mode from pentode to triode, it's good ,

Finally, The mode of triode is better than pentode.
and sound good on my bias and pretubes.

Thanks.

For an American tube look at a 6Y6G, the VT52 is an octal based 6A3 or a 2A3 with a 6.3V Fi like the 6B4Gl. The 6Y6G which is similar but not the same as the EL32 has a plate voltage of 200V running in pentode Class A and delivers 6 watts, calls for a 2.5K impedance on the OPT so there are some differences but a single ended amp made for an EL32 can be made usable by a 6Y6G and according to what I read an EL-34, but the schematic calls for a 7K primary not 2.5K.

This is where I found it and the 6HS7 is not listed in the GE book, from the schematic it looks like a pentode so maybe it is along the lines of an EF86.
EL32 Single Ended Amplifier D.I.Y

Good Luck,
I am working on a 6Y6 myself.
Thatch

el32 - el95 substitute

hi , for as far as i can see , is the el32 almost equal to the el95 , you just need to double the kathode resistor value , if used in a philips ag9016 amplifier. even the tranformers used in those amps could be used .. i love them in triode mode.
it is absolutely a much lower power tube compared to 6v6, el34, and 807 , and should work properle with a output transformer from at least 7k.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.