• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What to do with C3g tubes

I did a two stages SE amplifier using a C3g (triode connected) and a 211 or TM100 or MC1/60 or RS237 power triode (I have the 4 options).... and I am really happy with it.
The C3g can deliver 60 V peak signal on the grid of the "big" triode with 2 V at the input (my CD and RIAA stage can deliver more than 2V) at quite low impedance (about 2500 ohms).

Here is a little view of the amplifier...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The amplifier is built in 3 parts, two mono blocs for the power triodes and one stereo input stage (here with the C3g)
I did made a lot of tests as input stages, EC86, E81L, ECC35 + VT52, 6SL7 + 6A3 (or 6B4G)... le C3g is the one I prefer.
I will try a E80L as pentode.

André

Last edited:
I was sorting some boxes with tubes today and came across what I thought was C3g tubes but they where to my surprise C3m tubes, the marking on the boxes was faded.

I came to think about this thread and decided to expand it to C3m territory

I built a experimental preamp with C3g and it worked.
But then I forgot about it, until now.

So what can one build with C3m tubes?

Preamp or use it as a driver tube perhaps?

Attachments

• IMG_3687.jpg
    IMG_3687.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 852
Last edited:
Well its not as I dont know what kind of tubes they are.

I know how good the curves look in both pentode and triode mode.

But there is not a lot of information about practical use and I want to collect that information here.

Because both c3g and c3m are masterpieces in their own way.

And I like all the pictures people have posted so far.

Its not gas, I have seen the effect in all the c3g tubes I have re-based so its probably stray electrons hitting the mica or something similar.

and yes there is a lot of schematics on the net with c3g and c3m driving 300B and similar, but its still nice to discuss them further and to experiment with CCS and led bias and chokes ect ect :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A few months ago I (re) built an amp for my friend.

C3g, IR+Red LED bias, gyrator loaded, cap coupled to "powerdrive", 300B SE, Transcendar 5k:8 OPT.

Very balanced sound, but a bit insensitive (due to the high DCR of OPT).

Attachments

• C3g, IR LED, gyrator, powerdrive, 300B SE.jpg
    C3g, IR LED, gyrator, powerdrive, 300B SE.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,324
  • inside_3.jpg
    inside_3.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 1,168
Sorry to revive this older thread , but since i'm in the process of starting a C3G line preamp built, i am looking for a schematic of a line preamp, using the C3G as the only gain stage and GZ34 rectifier for stable power. Anyone knows of a schematic for this? I am planning of using no volume at all, and transformer wise i think 8K/600Ohm split would be ok, with 60mA as a max?
cheers all:)

So I got a large amount of C3g tubes and Im looking for projects that fits this tube perfectly

So what can you really do with these tubes?

They are really great tubes, the curves look beautiful and the build quality is superb

I feel bad to let them waste away on a shelf

so enlighten me!
I've you were thinking of selling a pair, I'd love them.
I've been told they a great in littledot amplifiers