• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How can i have 450 Volts ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I have a power transfo with 230-0-230 secundary, and i need 450 volts for my next project, now, is there a simple way for me to get 450 volts DC out of this transformer ? I was thinking using a 5R4 tube that i have, and paraleling the plates, so it would be a half wave rect. so, using the 460 v secundary to the plates, would it work to have more or less 450 V on the output ? I need about 300 ma

Thanks

Use a bridge rectifier across the 230-230V winding and follow by C-L-C filtering. The first C should be very small of about 0.5uF. Change the value of the first C to get you the 450V B+.

Johnny

Thanks Kmtang, i will make a test like that, but what i really would like is a 450 V regulated supply with Mosfets, but that is far more complicated for me...maybe you know a simple schematic to do that ?

Thanks

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks Kmtang, i will make a test like that, but what i really would like is a 450 V regulated supply with Mosfets, but that is far more complicated for me...maybe you know a simple schematic to do that ?

Have a look at my 21st Century Maida Regulator. It was designed for exactly that purpose. You'll find all the design documentation on my website (see link in my signature). I also sell PCBs for this circuit.

~Tom

what i really would like is a 450 V regulated supply with Mosfets, but that is far more complicated for me...maybe you know a simple schematic to do that ?
Depends on your priorities, but if you look for decent performances and excellent resilience and survivability, this type of regulators might be an option.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/198986-simple-hv-series-regulators.html
With the right version and suitable components, they can be made to survive indefinite shorts, even with a smallish heatsink.
The general performance level is only that of a first gen maida, but this is sufficient for lots of applications, and unlike maida-type regulators, they can accept any arbitrary level of abuse (depends on your design options and components choices, of course)

If you bridge rectify the end to end 460 VAC and cap. I/P filter, you get (ignoring losses) approx. 650 VDC. Hybrid bridge rectify the 460 VAC with snubbed, series wired, pairs of UF4007s on the "cold" side and a 5R4 on the "hot" side. The forward drop at 250 mA. of a 5R4 is a whopping 67 V. That loss is favorable here, as the Maida regulator will have to dissipate less power.

Energize the 5R4's filament with a CT 5 VAC winding. Take the "raw" B+ from the CT. Insert a CL90 inrush current limiting thermistor between the CT and the PSU filter. Use a 22 μF. cap., at the filter's I/P.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.