"Balanced power" - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2003, 12:59 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi everybody,

I have no experience with balanced power yet so I cannot comment if this is an improvement or not - but I`ll try it very likely from what I`ve read mainly here :

http://www.equitech.com/index.html
(this is the most detailed site about this topic I found so far and definetely worth reading!)

Here more, including additional links:
http://www.diyvideo.com/forums/showt...&threadid=6093

I have a huge 5kVA (almost 50kg, more than 100 pounds) monster Isolation Transformer with 2 secondary windings. It`s not a toroid and therefore probably better handles DC on the lines. It has ultralow interwinding capacitance due to special winding and two electrostatic shields.
It should be excellent suited for this task.

Here a link to visualize of what I`m talking about:

http://omnicontrols.com/lists/topaz-NoiseSupp.htm

This parts are normally really expensive but sometimes You can get them cheap as surplus (as I got mine).

Quote:
originally posted by fdegrove
I live in Belgium and have a 120-0-120VAC supply, not just where at I live now but at several places across the country.
I have never heard that this exists - but that`s great - balanced power from the wall outlet.

BTW: in Germany single phase power neutral is as Rich said - it`s on earth potential (0-230V)
Old 31st December 2003, 01:06 AM   #12
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Then do you think there would be a similar advantage to converting a 0-0-120 supply to a 60-0-60 supply by using a center tapped isolation transformer?
Certainly.

Quote:
Now if I take that and hook it up to a center tapped isolation transformer where the center tap is connected to safety earth... I don't think that should compromise anything.
Precisely.

Quote:
That still leaves the question of whether this would be a step forward or not.
Reallly good xformers don't come cheap and the end result will depend on the quality of these, I always overrrate by at least 30%, use EI cores or doubles C with an obligatory static screen that goes to mother earth. They have the add advantage of keeping out most RF bugs, toroids are just too much wideband for this app.

Quote:
Thanks for the response Frank... appreciate it.
You're very welcome,
Old 31st December 2003, 01:13 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

OK, so it goes back to the little info I picked up from searching the archived threads - find a surplus place (or other source) that might have a suitable transformer. I guess the commercial apps use toroids for convenience, and then add more caps to deal with the extra bandwidth.
Old 31st December 2003, 01:40 AM   #14
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I guess the commercial apps use toroids for convenience, and then add more caps to deal with the extra bandwidth.
Suppose so...

Filtering at the input with a good line filter surely wont hurt at all, make sure to use components designed for the task: X class, Y class accordingly.

Always make sure that the xformer is at least up to the task or you'll experience dynamic compression...
In short if I spec it for my winder it's going to cost me at least 2.5K to have it the way I want it...Luckilly I don't need it.

One final note, if manufacturers designed their xformers the way I think they should we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Cheers,
Old 31st December 2003, 02:03 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In short if I spec it for my winder it's going to cost me at least 2.5K to have it the way I want it...Luckilly I don't need it.
Hi Frank,

would You whistle-blow us how You`d spec. such a transformer other as for example the one (Topaz-Noise-Suppressor) from the link given at my previous post ?

Here a direct link to the datasheet:
http://omnicontrols.com/topaz/T1isolator.pdf
Old 31st December 2003, 02:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Senior Member

Hallo Christoph,

Quote:
such a transformer other as for example the one (Topaz-Noise-Suppressor) from the link given at my previous post ?
Actually, I jumped right in on this thread...Hadn't spotted your link to that manufacturer although I think you posted it before many month ago...

They look the business and with some added input filtering they'd be great.

I don't know what you're experience is with them or others but I often just use such a xformer for CD, leaving the amps to the vagaries of the mains.

The xformers of my amps are already as good as I can think of, they're way overrated, way too heavy, are EI and impregnated, dead silent and have a static shield...In other words I think they're pretty perfect.

If all manufacturers....you know what I'm going to say already....

Cheers,
Old 31st December 2003, 03:07 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One final note, if manufacturers designed their xformers the way I think they should we wouldn't even be talking about this.
I don't doubt that

Thanks for the inputs everyone.
Old 31st December 2003, 03:27 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
originally posted by fdegrove

Actually, I jumped right in on this thread...Hadn't spotted your link to that manufacturer although I think you posted it before many month ago...

They look the business and with some added input filtering they'd be great.
Ohh, might perfectly be that I posted this link before and Im sure Your memory is better than mine (mine almost can`t be worse)

Some filtering is exactly what I plan to do:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg siemens_30a_filter.jpg (51.9 KB, 184 views)
Old 31st December 2003, 03:34 AM   #19
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Some filtering is exactly what I plan to do:
Thank you Siemens for the education I was fortununate to enjoy....in Munich...

Ironish oder nur komisch?

Gruesst die,
Old 31st December 2003, 04:02 AM   #20
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Frank,

Just how many languages do you speak? Can no-one utter anything you don't understand?

You don't just have tin ears, you've a Babel Fish in them!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hide this!Advertise here!