• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"Balanced power"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 120-0-120 AC supply is probably done on resident safety grounds...(could be wrong on this) I heard this idea some time ago when I was in Efore (Fin).....but never thought it would come in practice........ Frank must be living in a pretty posh area....The real world is as kind as it is cruel.........my AC voltage varies from 206V to 245V AC, hence my forte in SMPS.
However the problem with screening toroids is that the electrostatic screen often comes as a dummy winding for safety, the massive inductance then has no dumping effect on interwinding capacitance. The screen must be a low inductance, to be really effective and that's awkward winding sheet on a tangent curve.
Facit.....E&I cores are the best for this........As to XY caps, these are agency rated and classed, I never known one to short circuit or go open in normal use.
Everyone have a happy new year........we have snow in the forum.
r:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.