Am I pushing the envelope too far? Layout concerns. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2014, 04:47 PM   #1
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Default Am I pushing the envelope too far? Layout concerns.

Hi, maybe people can share some experiences on tight packages. Is it OK for the preamp tubes to be that close to the output transformers? Is that power tube too close to the power station? I know that I'm taking risks here but I would like to know how many. 50% chance of success? 20%? None? Am I doomed? Could I get away with this? I'm about to punch holes, some sensible advice needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1860.jpg (179.7 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1862.jpg (133.8 KB, 429 views)

Last edited by Cassiel; 3rd February 2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:02 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Far too crowded imho.. Would be exceedingly difficult to wire, thermal concerns with the tubes so close together, and potential for magnetic coupling between the two output transformers and between the power transformer and one output transformer.
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No problems about the wiring, yes, it would be more difficult but it can be made. Thermal stress? Oh well, I think the tubes can take it. Shorter lifespan? Oh well, that's OK. But there's one thing you said that concerns me - the possible magnetic coupling between output transformers. I didn't know about that. Is there a way I can check that out before wiring?
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:15 PM   #4
BZed is offline BZed  United States
diyAudio Member

Way too close. Get a bigger chassis.
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeah I KNOW it's too small. Irrationality can make you stubborn. I don't want to buy a crappy Hammond chassis. This is a commercial amp:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cani-val.jpg (34.3 KB, 405 views)
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
...I don't want to buy a crappy Hammond chassis. This is a commercial amp:
Then why take a shortcut and cram components far closer than the recommended distances?

There are shops that make chassis to order and they are not crappy.
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:46 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

And there a lot of very nice and roomy Chinese made chassis on eBay for comparatively little money as well. (The quality of the boxes I have bought was quite good and not matched by anything from around here at anything like a reasonable price.)
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Then why take a shortcut and cram components far closer than the recommended distances?
Because it can be done. Hum is the only problem I'm really concerned about.

Quote:
And there a lot of very nice and roomy Chinese made chassis on eBay for comparatively little money as well.
I don't want my amp to look Chinese. No disrespect to Chinese people. Oh well, it was some kind of challenge, I'm not too sure about it now. Getting cold feet.
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:55 PM   #9
tomchr is online now tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Morgan Jones recommends in his "Building Valve Amplifiers" that you allow at least 1.5 envelope diameters between the tubes. But he also points out that the amount of IR radiation received by a target is dependent on how big of a radiating surface the target "sees". As some tubes have anode plates that are essentially a long skinny rectangular box, you can place the tubes closer if you rotate them such that the individual tubes "see" the skinny side of the anode sleeve. This is from one of the first couple of pages in Building Valve Amps (perhaps page 10ish).

That said, many console amps placed the tubes almost shoulder to shoulder. The placement also depends on how much power you're dissipating in the tubes. The important thing is that the envelope and anode temperatures don't get too high...

~Tom
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:56 PM   #10
tomchr is online now tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't get cold feet. Either get a bigger chassis or a different layout. How about putting some tubes between the PT and the left OPT?

~Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!