• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube emulation with transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is their sound ?

Vincent77

and others who have tried those emulators in real life, what were your results with them ?
My interest lies in experiencing the "tube sound". I'm thinking of building and/or designing an amplifier using these circuits instead of real tubes.
There are many advantages to doing that including cost, weight since there is no output transformer, etc..

Since I'm interested in a (HI-FI) amplifier, not a guitar one, I think that those emulators might be enough. Obviously, for guitar amp. the emulator should give the same distortion as a tube in the very non-linear regime.
For a audio amplifier, it only needs to be faithful in the "almost linear" regime.

the amp is a mix of both tubes and transistors. I am using a ecc82 as the vas stage then goes to a 2N5551 concertina driving 12ax7 solid state boosted 100x with 4k output transformer
switching power supply for heaters and B+.
The booster currently uses two mosfets to provide the boost. simpler then Elvee's

Last edited:
I have a bad habit of doing the schematics last after a project has been tested.
I will start a thread on it after I return from Florida on the 17th.
I need to get my Edcor transformer as all I have is a 70v matching transformer for the output. Bass is cut off at 90hz but highs go past 20khz.
very "Tubey" output at clipping with rounded sines and compression of signal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.