• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bench Power Supply - what to get?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking to get a variable dc power supply. Here are a couple of units and their specs. Any winners on the list? Any winners not on the list?

Manufacturer: E-C Apparatus
Model: EC 600
•Output voltage: 4000V maximum
•Output current: 200mA maximum
•Four constant voltage ranges: 0-500v, 0-1000v, 0-2000v, and 0-4000v
•Two constant power ranges: 0-20W and 0-200W
•Four constant current ranges: 0-5mA, 0- 20 mA, 0-50 mA, and 0-200 mA

Model: EC500-90
•Output voltage - 2000V
•Output current - 300mA
•Output power - 300W
•Four output terminals
•Two pairs of outlet jacks

Model: EC-154
•Outlet voltage: 500V
•Output current: 500mA
•Output power: 250W
•Constant voltage
•Two pairs of outlet jacks

Model: EC570-90
•Output voltage - 500V
•Output current - 2500mA
•Output power - 325W
•Output models: Constant voltage or constant current with automatic crossover
•Four sets of terminals

Manufacturer: LAMBDA
Model: 71
Four Outputs
0-500Vdc @ 0 -200ma
0 -50V dc or 0-200Vdc bias output
6.5Vac 5A unregulated
6.5Vac 5A unregulated

thanks in advance,
Kevin

E-C Apparatus is better known as a maker of electrophoresis equipment and not really considered a quality laboratory supply IMO. The Lambda 71 is a nice rugged bench supply. I've used them. They are old tube based supplies and easy to service. As I remember they use 6L6's for series pass tubes. I still own a model 50 which is the higher current version. There's one on ePay now.

Lambda also made a C-280 & C-480 series of HV tube supplies. These were rugged supplies but had a limited adjustment range. (up to about 350V) They also used 6L6/5881 pass tube that were often missing because they were exposed on the rear.

Kepco makes a few different HV supplies and Kepco is a top notch brand still in business. I own several of their old tube supplies. (605's)(0-600V/.5A) Big and heavy and they just won't die. But they're scarce these days. The BHK series are nice but use expensive 8068 series pass tubes. (BHK500-.4M or BHK1000-.2M) And there's an HB525M (525V/.5A) But everybody robs the 6550 pass tubes.

Then there's always an HP 6448B. (600V/1.5A) Expensive but nice, although noisy and somewhat slow in response. (comparatively) And let's not forget the old 712A tube supply (0-500V/.2A)

Fluke made a type 407 tube supply. (555V/.3A) I think they used 807 pass tubes.

GriefKits will serve in a pinch but I always considered them too wimpy.

If you can get them to ship it cheaply (not express), or go pick it up yourself:

TDK Lambda EMI EMS TCR 600S1 Single Output DC Power Supply 600V 1A 600W | eBay

Says 64 lbs. Looks like they have so many of them, they will probably take most any offer. I would try like 1/2 the listed price. (the picture file name was $_57 ??? must mean something, maybe that's what they paid for them)

There is another model, EMS 600-1.6 I think, that is lighter and thinner, If you keep an eye out for it. Probably won't get it for a price anything like this one though.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
The Ebay link changed or something. Here is the current link to the TCR-600 power supply:

TDK Lambda EMI EMS TCR 600S1 Single Output DC Power Supply 600V 1A 600W | eBay

Hmmm, the link still doesn't work. You'll have to do a search on:
TDK-LAMBDA-EMI-EMS-TCR-600S1

Note: make sure to get them to agree to a cheaper rate shipping before ordering one!!! They're quoting like overnight delivery cost for 70 Lbs!

Attachments

• $_57_1.jpg
    $_57_1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Last night's events severely reduced the amount I have to spend on a power supply. I was doing some busy work - the boring but necessory. I was - bringing a small tube amp up on the variac
- testing a quad of KT100's on the tube tester
- watching the Pacers play the Suns
- and some general straightening up
Soooooooooo I was watching the game, putting a tube into the tester and increasing
the power. Then I heard the dreaded 'snap, buzz, pfft' followed by all the magic
smoke leaving the variac. I unpluged the variac and the amp and somehow
during all this, I broke a pin off one of the KT100's. So now I need to replace the
variac, look for another KT100 that will match the other three. Once I take
deal with this, I will be back on the hunt for the power supply. Oh, and the Pacers lost.

Kevin

$1 now, tough to beat this one!

$60 shipping though (to here anyway). Seems to be configured as a negative 600V supply, but I think these usually are floating anyway. In any case, the manual is on line to re-configure it if necessary.

Lambda EMI TDK TCR 600S1 600V 1A Power Supply Read Description | eBay

I looked up some Heathkit 400V supplies on Epay, and they mostly start out at $200, what a rip-off! They used to be $50 or less. I was going to suggest just getting a Heath for the screen grid supply and -bias V use, but it's way cheaper to buy some fancy bench supplies.

If someone wanted to do a 1200V power supply for some Xmit'g tube, they might combine this with a +600V version. A rather unique one of a kind unit.

Attachments

• TCR-.jpg
    TCR-.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.