• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My EAR834 dropped dead! Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello...
I'm callling for help here!
When I turned on my EAR last week, it got some flare beneath one of its EL34s. :hot:
I opened up the chassis and started to checked each compenents inside and found out not even a resistor or a capacitor went wrong... Diodes are all good!
Since the accident, the amp simply blows fuse if turn on even without tubes.
Any idea what's went wrong?:confused:
Hope to hear some good idea...
Thanks for any idea.
c.c.

Start by checking the power supply. Disconnect all the amp circuitry from it and see if it blows fuses on its own. If so, you've probably got a bad rectifier and/or filter cap. If not, start looking for a short to ground somewhere in the amp circuit.

:att'n: High voltages present! Use caution probing around, keep one hand in your pocket at all times, and make sure with a meter that things are discharged before sticking fingers or tools into the circuit.

Hello everybody,
I got it fixed right. At least, for the time being!
Here is my note for the repairing. I hope to discuss it a little bit and make it like a case study.

1. I found out my amp went shorted even without any input or output tubes. I started with checking the power line. Everything was OK before rectifying tubes. I did check the transformer, power capacitors and diodes one by one. It gave normal voltage at 526VDC!
2. I still changed the diodes, because they looked old and diodes cost nothing.
3. It didn't go shorted since I waked up in one morning. Maybe diodes were the problem?
4. I put input tubes back. The amp looked fine! The fuses didn't blow. I put the EL34s back. It still get shorted...
5. I changed all the componets between output cathode and ground. There were 16 pcs of resistor and 8 pcs of eleclytic caps!
6. I put the original power tubes back. It did light up, but the amp always had smoke at certain pot! I know this by putting power tubes back one by one. I know it is the spot.
7. I checked all of the resistors again. They were normal, but that particular spot still burned all the time.
8. I doubed the tube is the problem. Yes! It was!
9. I replaced it with another healthy one. After the some test, amp worked ! But only last for a few hours. It dropped dead again! There were a lot of smokes and sparkle...
10. I changed all over again everything between cathode and ground. Normal!
11. It still burned at that spot! Am I crazy??!!
12.After a few trials, I found out that new EL34 was shorted for some reason! I checked that tube before the test. It just failed! :bawling:
13.Replacing by another EL34, it has been working for over 12 hours...
:D
I hope it won't have any problem this time!
C.C.:dead: :dead: :dead:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.