• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EZ81 Load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My normal pre-amp HT supplies consist of a full wave silicon bridge followed by a CRCRCRC filter where the C is typical 470uF and R is chosen to drop 10V at the nominal load current.

I now need to make a similar supply using an EZ81 as a rectifier. Assuming I use the correct series resistors and a 47uF reservoir capacitor, what RCRCRC network can I safely add without exceeding the EZ81 specs?

Cheers

Ian

Unless the R are unusually small and the C unusually large the only things which matter are the R and C immediately adjacent to the rectifier. The R here includes winding resistance.

The C are typically 470uF but the load current for this project is only about 70mA so I will reduce these to 220uF. For about 10V drop in each CR stage the R is about 140 ohms. Would you consider those to be too large/small?

Obviously I will use 47uF and the recommended R for the reservoir.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. Looking at the Vacuum Tube Power Supply Design article it looks like I have picked the right valve. I think I already have PSUD2 so I will definitely give that a try. It looks like a lot of inrush issues are mitigated by heater warm up so I am felling generally a lot more confident. I will work through the Schade method and see what I come up with.

Cheers

Ian

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
It looks like a lot of inrush issues are mitigated by heater warm up so I am felling generally a lot more confident.
Cheers

Ian

As long as you don't get someone switch it back on immediately after power off.
I still think a choke is a better way.
It would be interesting to see if the series R and the charge current after transient doesn't cause to much sag. (depends on current draw)
Whats the volt drop on the rectifier tube?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
As long as you don't get someone switch it back on immediately after power off.
I still think a choke is a better way.
It would be interesting to see if the series R and the charge current after transient doesn't cause to much sag. (depends on current draw)
Whats the volt drop on the rectifier tube?

Regards
M. Gregg

The sims from PSUD2 indicate that the peak inrush current will be just over 1 amp with a hot tube. Spec maximum appears to be 1.8 amps so it looks like it should be OK

Sag is not an issue as this is 100% class A.

Hammond transformer and tube arrived yesterday so I can now build and measure.

Cheers

Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.