KT88SE with ECC82 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2003, 06:36 PM   #1
sith is offline sith  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Default KT88SE with ECC82

I would to build a single end amp based on KT88 tube and would like to use ECC82 (12au7) as a driver. Can it be done? Does anyone know where suitable schematics can be found? I have found one with ECC83 tube , can I replace it with ECC82?
I also wander what wattage I can expect , my guess is about 10-12 watts, but I've heard that some folks achieve to pull out around 18W.
Old 30th December 2003, 04:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

try 6SN7 with KT88, it is the best choice for me. If a 8-10W amplifier is enough for you, try this SE 6SN7/KT88 http://ptsoundlab.free.fr/sectubes/s...sn7kt8811w.htm . I have test it, great !

Pascal.
Old 30th December 2003, 07:05 PM   #3
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Don't think about just substiuting the ECC83 with an ECC82. The gain will be much reduced. (Of course you can use one for testing.)

I think you may get 8-10 watts in triode mode.
Quite a bit more in Pentode or UL (distributed load) mode, but there will be a lot of distortion unless you use negative feedback.

I like SE designs, but must say that IMO the 6550 /KT88 is better suited to PP designs.
Old 30th December 2003, 08:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I agree a 6SN7 is a better bet than ECC82. As for ECC83 combination with KT88.......PLEASE.. NO...don't think of it....If you were forced to use the 82, okay but..alot of people don't like ECC82 sonically, (I'm one of them) and the mu of 17 is low. A tube with a higher mu would be better.....> At this stage I would examine other tubes with a mu of about 40-60. There are benefits. Using the two plates in parallel...... rp is halved,stage gain increases;noise halved; one couldn't ask for more.
If you are using the KT88 in pentode mode.....do not forget that the g2 requires a stabilised source. If not, you will get alot of THD.

there are loads of schematics, have a look at triode electronics homepage. It's a big site. Give yourself P.O time.
More problems...........keep throwing them

rich
Old 31st December 2003, 06:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Cryod JJ6922

Been testing Cryod JJ6922s and they certainly sound unbelieveable, beating the cryod Philips Jan 6922s, better inner detail, which is in spades. Better than 6sn7s with better hf response, higher gain too.

Well worth checking out with Kt88s.

Have a great new years.
Old 31st December 2003, 06:31 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Cryod JJ6922

Quote:
Originally posted by Positron
Been testing Cryod JJ6922s
Was talking with Bill Perkins just yesterday and he commented that he was quite impressed with the most recent batches of JJ tubes he has been cryoing & grading. He specifically mentioned the 6922s (i get the feeling that he still likes the Sovtek 6N23Pi/6922 at least as well thou.) I asked if he had any floor sweepings (tubes that don't pass) and he said he hadn't had any that failed the grade.

dave
Old 31st December 2003, 09:33 AM   #7
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Default Re: KT88SE with ECC82

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by sith
I would to build a single end amp based on KT88 tube and would like to use ECC82 (12au7) as a driver. Can it be done?
Of course.

Quote:
Does anyone know where suitable schematics can be found?
All over the net. Just Google KT88 SE Amplifer Schematic, that should give you a good starting point.

My personal recommendation would be something that operates in what some people call "LM3" Mode. There is an extensive article illustrating this methode here:

http://www.lundahl.se/claus_b_se.html

With a little work and a slightly lower impedance, but higher current output transformer you can use a KT88 and get between 12 - 15W Output from this kind of Amplifier.

Quote:
I have found one with ECC83 tube , can I replace it with ECC82?
Most likely not.

Sayonara
Old 31st December 2003, 10:12 AM   #8
Jaap is online now Jaap  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default This is something else

I have built a KT88 se with a 12hg7 (triode) and LL1660 interstage transformer and Amplimo (plitron) toroid outputtransformer.
Result is great !
Old 31st December 2003, 10:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default 12hg7

Yes, Japp, I have also worked with that tube some years ago, but not alot because of no current manufacturing of the tube. Otherwise I might have worked with it more.

Nice to hear the good sonic report on the tube.
Old 1st January 2004, 12:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Bill's Web site does not work ??

Hi Dave ,
Bill Perkins web site has lots of good articles listed on it and the down load size is also mentioned. Unfortunately not a single download link works ! Can you check with Bill if this is going to be rectified or if it will no longer be possible to see those documents.
It's such a pity. Lots of interesting stuff. Bill has done a great job.
Cheers,
Ashok.

Hide this!Advertise here!