• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Oscillating Mullard5-20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After getting the resistors in the PSU correct, I have trouble with the thing oscillating. I measure 60V on the output bindings, and there is a loud humming. Oscillating yes?????

I'v checked that the assemby is correct regarding the schematics.
It's in both channels (stereounit) so it has to be something fundamental.

The signal from the driver goes trough the "air" and lands on the EL34's. The output goes below the incoming signal (3-4cm). Could this be the problem? Should I rather try to get the output to the transformer along the side? Anyway it gets close to the input of the EL34. Look at the pictures:

Attachments

• dscf0029.jpg
    dscf0029.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 95
Bjorn,

First: disconnect the negative feedback loop (short the input, as the amp will become over-sensitive).
If the oscillation stops, it is likely that the phase of the output is 180 deg from the expected. In this case, all that is required is to reverse the phase of the output transformer secondary connections.

Hope this helps ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.