• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

lm317 and heater supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Working on a Power Supply (my first) for a headphone tube amp, And having a problem with the Heater supply. Thinking of doing something with a pair of 5842s. The Transformer was taken out of a SS amp and does not have a 6.3v winding. I have a 5 or 10. So I used some uf4007 and built a bridge rectifier on the 10v and comes out at 13v. then added a lm317 and getting 6.8v when I hook it up to my meter. But when I connect it to the heater pins on a tube, the voltage drops to about 0.4v. What am I missing?

LN317

the heater cold resistance is much lower than under working conditions. Therefore it can be, that this lower resistance is causing a current limit / short circuit protection of the LM317. Start up currents of tube heaters are much higher than the rated ( operation) currents.

LM317

Here's a quick sketch of what I have going on.

Attachments

• 2014-01-19 21.53.54.jpg
    2014-01-19 21.53.54.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 625
Take out the 100R resistor, you don't need it. Or replace it with a proper value, to drop some volts, leaving at least 3v headroom for the LM317.

If your tube draws 0.3A of current, you'll get a 0.3*100 = 30v drop over the resistor. It can't work.

Last edited:
As tubesteve mentioned - cold filament resistance is much lower than a hot one, and you may consider slow turn-on circuit for LM317. Another approach is to combine voltage regulator followed by current regulator based on two LM317s. It limits filament current to a defined value, ergo for lower resistance, voltage drop is also lower. Voltage regulator + lower resistance equals higher currrent.
I use the pre-regulator and current regulator to supply DHT filaments in a power amp.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...tracking-pre-regulator-current-regulator.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.