• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

heater wear sign?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all..today i opened my tube DAC for some tunings and i found my AZ1 rectifier has a white lines on the upper heater filaments (the triangle)

is it sign of wear-out tube?..or it's no problem?

also, is there any ways to reduce the heater voltage?..at the first time i build my DAC, the heater was almost 5V (damn local custom transformer :mad: )

but now it's 6V! :eek:

i don't want to kill my AZ1 but i also don't want to waste my money for new transformer

thanks

n.b i attached the picture.sorry for crap quality.

Attachments

• CAM00077.jpg
    CAM00077.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 169
^^
It looks like that part of the filament is running slightly hotter since it's not covered by the cathode coating as it's above the plate. Since it's happening on both sides, this looks normal.

"also, is there any ways to reduce the heater voltage?..at the first time i build my DAC, the heater was almost 5V (damn local custom transformer )

but now it's 6V!"

Variac.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Regards the power transformer,

Have you thought the transformer may have been made correctly and the line voltage on you house mains is changing?

Reducing the heater voltage..do you have NTC surge suppression to reduced the power on surge on the supply?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
The AZ1 directly heated full wave rectifier is fitted with an eight pin side contact base. These bases were used originally by Philips in Europe and Mullard in the UK for universal valves from the 1930s. Universal meant valves for AC or DC supplies. When the Ct8 base proved unpopular in the UK some of the valves were re-issued on a standard International Octal base. For the AZ1 the re-issue was be the AZ31 with identical electrical characteristics.

It has a 4 Volt filament rated at 1.1 Amp. The maximum anode RMS voltage is 500 Volts. At this anode Voltage the DC current could be up to 60 mA. At 400 Volts on the anode the output could rise to 75 mA and with 300 Volts on the anodes the output current could be 100 mA. The maximum reservoir capacitor had to be no more than 60 µF.

The anode cavities are grey treated to radiate more heat and are probably made of Nickel.

The classic envelope is 46 mm in diameter and, excluding the Ct8 base pins, is 98 mm tall

6Volts will kill the heaters!

i've been made 2 custom transformer from a local company.the 1st one was so much wrong.20v and 40v for 4v and 5v output :mad: .so i returned them and the 2nd one was 4.5v and 5.xxv.

i'm sure i used the 4V tap and the transformer got almost 5V after i plugged the AZ1.

but today, i was surprised the voltage raised to 6V.

i dont want spend my money for another transformer :(
but i also don't want to kill my AZ1.

for NTC, i don't have them since i used dual switch.when i turn it on, i switched to a diode to let the filament heated and all caps charged.

Jon, i would to know how long can this AZ1 survive at 6v?..i was unplugged my AZ1 now for the safe

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If it was me,

This is just a try and see...and its a messy way to get round it.

I would try the following and see if it had an adverse effect on sound etc.

1....put two diodes in series with each other in series with the heater and put another two in series in inverse parallel across the first two and see what voltage I had across the heater. don't get them in series with any HT just the heater winding. They have to be rated for the current ie more than start up surge.

So you will get one half of the AC through the first two with a volt drop and the other half of the AC through the other two with a voltage drop.

you will get a voltage drop across the diodes it might be enough..its just something to try...

2...put a NTC in series with the heater and see what voltage I had after it warmed up. However it will get hot so watch placement.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
OK think like this.

if you put two diodes in series with each other you will get a forward voltage drop...that would half wave the AC heater supply then put another two across the first two and you will conduct the other half of the cycle with another voltage drop.

They would have to take the current...it might be worth a try..

Regards
M. Gregg

Attachments

• DSCN3970.jpg
    DSCN3970.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.