• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is there such a thing....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not likely. The odd voltages were used to get a particular current for series string operation, usually 450mA or 600mA. The high voltages are used for power tubes that need a lot of heater power. So a low power tube will have a low voltage rating.

I doubt that there are any dual triodes in a compactron, only triples and maybe a dual plus something else (diodes or a pentode, maybe). Usually 8V to 11V heaters for these, or 6 or 12V.

Pete

ECC85 is similar to 12AT7. And there's 20EZ7 for a 12AX7 equivalent - again, a 9-pin (noval) not a Compactron. I'm not sure if there were ANY 100 mA or 150 mA heaters for Compactrons...

20EZ7 might work. Tube does not need to be a compactron. The idea is more like Christmas tree lights -- 6 heaters in series at 21V each gets pretty darn close to line voltage, i.e., no filament transformer required.

Thanks and regards,

Rob

The idea is more like Christmas tree lights -- 6 heaters in series at 21V each gets pretty darn close to line voltage, i.e., no filament transformer required.

Whatever else you do, stop. Don't ever connect any part of your circuit to the mains supply without an isolating transformer. Your life, or someone else's may depend upon a safe connection.

Discussion of direct connection is banned on this forum.

The idea is more like Christmas tree lights -- 6 heaters in series at 21V each gets pretty darn close to line voltage

You can NOT connect heaters in series unless they ALL have the same CURRENT rating. The voltage doesn't matter as long as they all add up to the output of your transformer. I have built several guitar amps that run entirely from a single 120 volt isolation transformer.

The smallest uses a $12 Triad N-68X to power a 4 tube amp using a pair of 32ET5's, an 18FW6, and an 18FY6 plus a resistor all wired in series. These are all 100 mA tubes. The amp makes about 8 watts.

I built a bigger amp that used a pair of UL84's (45B5) and a pair of 20EZ7's modeled after an 18 watt Marshall circuit. It used a 100VA isolation transformer that cost about $20. B+ came from a voltage doubler on the transformer secondary.

You must use a transformer to connect any type of electronics to the power lines, even tube heaters. I know there were zillions of transformerless tube amps and radios made in the past.....and they KILLED people. Heater to Cathode shorts are not uncommon in tubes. This can connect your guitar, turntable, or CD player DIRECTLY to the power lines if you don't use a transformer. Would you stick a metal knife into the wall outlet while holding it?

You can NOT connect heaters in series unless they ALL have the same CURRENT rating. The voltage doesn't matter as long as they all add up to the output of your transformer. I have built several guitar amps that run entirely from a single 120 volt isolation transformer.

Oh, I forgot KCL. I missed that about constant current. This idea won't work, then.

You must use a transformer to connect any type of electronics to the power lines, even tube heaters. I know there were zillions of transformerless tube amps and radios made in the past.....and they KILLED people. Heater to Cathode shorts are not uncommon in tubes. This can connect your guitar, turntable, or CD player DIRECTLY to the power lines if you don't use a transformer.

Didn't know about the h-k failure mode, either. Difficult to surmount that one. Thanks for the education!

Would you stick a metal knife into the wall outlet while holding it?

No, or at least with only one hand and insulating footwear.

Regards,

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.