Could this tube be good for audio ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2014, 01:41 PM   #1
el156 is offline el156  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default Could this tube be good for audio ?

Hi !
I have some of this CF3 pentodes ...does someone know by this curves if it could be used for áudio ?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF3 curves 001.jpg (696.1 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg CF3 curves 002.jpg (545.1 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5903.jpg (851.6 KB, 325 views)
Old 11th January 2014, 01:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's a remote cutoff tube which has a variable µ, so NO. You could try it in the 10mA range where it is abit more linear. But it is still not optimal.
Leave it to the radio enthusiasts for restoring and rebuilding. Many better tubes are around.
Old 11th January 2014, 02:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_manta View Post
It's a remote cutoff tube which has a variable µ, so NO. You could try it in the 10mA range where it is abit more linear. But it is still not optimal.
Leave it to the radio enthusiasts for restoring and rebuilding. Many better tubes are around.
Thanks...i dont know what to do with them, i have some of them NIB and sealed, maybe someone here needs some to rebuild an old radio, since i dont work with rádios...
Old 11th January 2014, 05:02 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Put them on ebay so the ancient wireless people can access them.
Old 11th January 2014, 08:22 PM   #5
Banned

Actually people interested in ancient wireless devices are more interested in mirrors that can be used for heliographing.

Also ancient Greeks could often send messages up to 100 miles away by the use of multiple beacon fires.
Perhaps this was the first cellular network?
Old 11th January 2014, 08:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el156 View Post
Hi !
I have some of this CF3 pentodes ...does someone know by this curves if it could be used for áudio ?
Thanks
There are a lot of potential audio "sleepers" out there. If you look, maybe you can find a really good audio loadline.

However, I would question why do that? These thingies are OLD, so why use them for a new project when you already know the existing stock will only be depleted?

If you have a few, then E-Bay them and you'll have enough to get some decent newer types more suitable for audio usage, and with a larger stock available. That's one of the good things about those much-maligned "Tee-Vee T00bz": there are a lot of them still out there, waiting for projects.

As the OP said, leave these CF3's to the antique radio restorers. They'll thank you for that.
Old 12th January 2014, 10:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I will put a link on one of the radio sites for them as they are from the RF side of radio and will not work all that well for audio.
They would usually be seen in sets with wooden cabinets and very early TVs.
Old 13th January 2014, 10:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I also have some of this ones, maybe they could be usefull for someone who works in old rádios restoration. they are C/EM2 magic eye. i am sure they are quite rare tubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5915.jpg (959.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5912.jpg (963.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5914.jpg (912.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 14th January 2014, 12:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I will make a note and pass it on.
Old 14th January 2014, 02:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'd be keeping the magic eye tubes myself... VEry cool and can be used in a wide variety of devices including audio

Hide this!Advertise here!