Best sounding DIY amp kits for 45, 2A3 or 300B - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2014, 10:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best sounding DIY amp kits for 45, 2A3 or 300B

Which are the best sounding DIY amp kits for you?
  • You must have heard the amp before (not guessing what it would sound like)
  • Tell us the speakers that you've heard this amp with
  • Preferable sold as a kit, but can be honorable schematic designs.
I would like to hear the opinions about Tubelab, Dynaco, Bottlehead, Elekit, tubes 4 hifi, siliconray...
Old 8th January 2014, 11:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I built the Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours (designed to a price) years ago which were good, not great. Later, I built the Audio Note Kits (Canada) 300B which was very, very good. Both those were matched with various combinations of JBL 2226 mid-woofer and Altec 806 and 902 compression drivers with 811B horns.

Audio Note Kits and Bottlehead have more sophisticated designs these days which I haven't heard.

I use the Tubelab Simple SE I built with my current 4Pi speakers and it's so good I have to believe the 300B/45 SE kit must be even better, especially if you go for Magnequest iron.

All 3 of these outfits have excellent Forum support.
Old 9th January 2014, 02:03 AM   #3
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

Tubelab se, 300b is one of my favorites. Fostex full range speakers (plus a sub to fill in the lows, but I use a sub on every system) Same pcb can be used for the 2a3 or 45.
Old 9th January 2014, 06:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

What about Elekit kits?
They are really nice looking, but are they worth? How about the sound?
Old 9th January 2014, 07:04 PM   #5
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm obviously partial to my Damn Good 300B...

My main speakers are KRK R6 that I run with an active crossover and bi-amped (using two of my DG 300B stereo amps to drive them). I've also tried them with my Sennheiser HD650 and they sound absolutely heavenly. One builder is using them with his Audeze LCD 2 headphones and is very happy with the sound.

~Tom
Old 10th January 2014, 02:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Has anyone got a schematic for John Tucker's 45. I read the article in Positive Feedback mag. and then on the Dagogo website about a 45 amp (either stereo integrated or dual mono) called the Diy Heartland?! What gives? It seems to have disappeared.

I know it's not a kit but was highly reviewed. I am also intrigued by the Tubelab SE with 45 tubes. I just got an email from Shikegi Yamamoto...If you've got 2000.00 to spare his excellent A-08S is in kit form!!!!
Old 10th January 2014, 02:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey Bill,
Are you the same Bill Epstein who reviewed "The Simple 45"? Could you PM me if you have any info about a schematic? I email Mike at Magnaquest and I'm hoping he could share some info.
Thanks Sean
Old 10th January 2014, 04:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston senac View Post
What about Elekit kits?
They are really nice looking, but are they worth? How about the sound?
I have the Elekit TU-879S 6L6GC, with mods to caps and a few other parts sounds great......I am planning on building somthing "better" later on, but for now this amp serves my tube needs.
Old 11th January 2014, 02:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
I'm obviously partial to my Damn Good 300B...
~Tom
Your site it's a very interesting reading. I reckon you amp it's appealing from a technical point of view, a well engineered one and great attention to detail.
In the near future I would like to build one of your design, perhaps after the Tubelab SE.

Here is a good article on the 45 type tube.
Old 11th January 2014, 03:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the excellent lesson on this awesome tube. Makes me want to build an amp even more.

Hide this!Advertise here!