• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Inexpensive 2.5k primary SET OPT with 90mA+ DC bias rating?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on a 6Y6 SET design and hope to find a transformer with a 2.5k-3.5k primary (to 8 ohm) that can handle the larger current the 6Y6 draws. My first choice would be Edcor, but they don't publish the DC current bias ratings for the XSE/GXSE series. This is a bit of a 'junk bin' build so I'm hoping to keep costs down ($50 for a pair?).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Max power for the 6Y6GT is at 60mA @ 200V into a 2.5k load. There should be many 2.5k transformers that can handle 60mA. I would suggest the Magnequest DS-025 but don't know if this is considered "inexpensive" or not. Whatever transformer you choose, if you put 90mA through a 6Y6 stand well back; don't forget the safety goggles!

Hi Palustrus. I'm actually looking at running it at about 160v @ 75mA constrained by the PT I have on hand. I chose the 90mA opt rating just for a safe margin of error and a couple extra mA to the driver (6dj8). If you have any experience with the 6y6 in SET, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for the other suggestions, all! I'll price all these out.

Sodacose,

James (Jianshin) transformer is pretty decent in quality + price too. you can get it from thlaudio.com. You can get from distributors too at your area but might be more expensive. Is your choice.

I've no affiliation with them but I've used the JS-6123H on a EL34 SET, pretty decent, although not as excellent (and expensive) as the Lundahl LL1623. :)

tubeworld.

Indeed George. I played with one with a GM70 whilst developing my SE GM70. I know 1000V and 100mA is not a good idea for these little guys but I had them and they held up fine. Bit of saturation at the lower end but it was a bread board:flame:

I would think but don't hold me to it that the 2.5K version will have half the primary turns and the same gap, meaning they can handle nearly twice. So say about 150mA max to be safe.

Great transformers. For the price the performance and quality of build is excellent. Bit of a wait to get them but oh well at least they do arrive unlike other so called transformer manufacturers on this earth;)

Cheers
Matt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.