• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

designing SS power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Meh. Caps are 2-10mF per ampere for SS, tube amps usually take it a good bit leaner (we have choke filters after all!), say 1mF per amp. So 100mA would use 100uF, which is a reasonable value for 60Hz. For 50Hz technically you'll want slightly more (60/50ths more to be exact :p ), but caps are wide enough in value anyway. (Note that most tube rectifiers cannot handle more than 40uF, be sure to stay within limits!) And you won't notice the difference with a good bit of choking. Caps also need to be rated at the maximum expected voltage, which would be maybe 1.5 times the unrectified AC voltage.

Rectifiers, just grab some 1N4007s or similar diode of adequate current and voltage rating. No need for HEXFREDs or anything (though saying so will earn me some flames. Bring it on).

Tim

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

say 1mF per amp. So 100mA would use 100uF,

Don't you mean 1µF per mA?

Rectifiers, just grab some 1N4007s or similar diode of adequate current and voltage rating. No need for HEXFREDs or anything (though saying so will earn me some flames. Bring it on).

You're asking for it but I'll refrain given the time of the year...

Oh, use good quality caps after the chokes...Those are the ones you'll be listening to.

As for SS regulators..BLECH,:dead: ...They're the first to go south in high voltage rails and you'll hear their sonic fingerprint anyway...Could as well stick to solid state throughout in the first place.
Just my opinion...

Cheers,;)

One thing I have found useful is to put a 0.082uF 3KV ceramic cap across the transformer secondary (HT). This cut down a lot of noise in the amp.

Edit: I use a pair of bog standard IN5404 (3000V 3A) in my PSU, hasn't failed yet. UF4007 failed to a short, blowing the fuses. ow.

Someone's taking me on here.....come on.......who says SS isn't on for HV amp power supplies?.....HP have been using this for decades in their test equipment and so have I and not one has come back due to duff PSU's. Do the physics and there's nothing wrong with them. As for SS regies changing the sound sonically, if they are put in the right place <simply.. No>

rich

richwalters said:
Someone's taking me on here.....come on.......who says SS isn't on for HV amp power supplies?.....HP have been using this for decades in their test equipment and so have I and not one has come back due to duff PSU's. Do the physics and there's nothing wrong with them. As for SS regies changing the sound sonically, if they are put in the right place <simply.. No>

Well, I have been smelling something odd in Frank's direction...

Come on Frank, don't bogart it..... ;)

Tim

Back on topic...

Designing PSU's for valve's is no different than for anything else. Only the component values vary, as described by the previous posters.
Perhaps the main change is that chokes become practical, both in LC and CLC arrangements.
Here is a link to the most commonly used and free PS simulator:
PSUD2 Play with the simulator until you feel comfortable. It'll do SS and valve recifiers.

If you have a PC it'll run. If you have a Mac, contact me.

IMO Valve rectifiers win, if only because they've got built-in soft-start ;)

I've had a few blown 1N4007 diodes. I would opt for the 3A diodes.

If you've got your mind set on SS then I would include a good CCS, (even with a valve rectifier).

Just completed my first plate CCS with a pentode and it totally tranformed the music. I mean dramatically IMHO.
Ok I lose lots of voltage through a valve CCS but depends what you are driving. Just a 6N1P was my case so efficiency wasn't an issue.

Here is a link to the most commonly used and free PS simulator:
PSUD2 Play with the simulator until you feel comfortable. It'll do SS and valve recifiers.

Yep this is a great tool well recommended.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.