Fender Guitar Amp modifications - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2003, 09:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fender Guitar Amp modifications

Can I get some opinions on this mod I found. I have a blues deluxe amp and am thinking about having this done if its worthwhile.

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/bluesdeluxe.html
Old 27th December 2003, 10:35 PM   #2
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

WEll I don't know much about this particular amp, but...

It won't give you any extra volume, but it will probably give you more overdrive. I built a guitar preamp with 3 cascaded 12AX7, and the distortion you could get was awesome, a real "metal" sound. However, the gain was ridiculous, you couldnt get much of a clean tone from the "crunch" channel.

If I were you, I would do it anyway

Also I hear the speaker in it is a bit of a weak point...
Old 27th December 2003, 11:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bobcat190
Hey perfusionist

I think i have a link to a forum you'll like. It's a forum for guitar amps and mostly tube type. http://pub58.ezboard.com/bampworkshop

As for your mod if you can do it yourself , i'd try it and if it does not sound great take it off.
Old 1st April 2011, 02:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

As you do not have to build the auxiliary circuit board, the mod is not difficult to make; indeed, I am thinking myself about doing it. The problem I see is the volume. Mine is a 1995 Fender Blues Deluxe and, to my ears and to those of my bandmates, this amp is really loud; so loud that it is difficult to get distortion at a reasonable volume. Adding gain in the preamp stage, as in this mod, would be great, but this requires to cut the gain in the power stage. Perhaps this cold be done by following the principle explained in the mod, namely, removing the bypass caps and increasing the resistor values in the power stage in order to lower the gain. As I installed a bias pot, I was thinking about repacing the 6L6's with 6V6's, but I wonder if the OT would respond well to this change.

Hide this!Advertise here!