• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Humming Sound from tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My amp hums too. I believe all three transformers hum and it is the same hum that is heard from the speakers. 50 Hz probably, but with angry over tones, a low sparkling sound. If this has to do with capacitors in the PS is it safe to remove them one at a time?

The hum is less when powered through a power back up supply, but still annoying.

Does a certain DC or AC reading show up on a bad PS capacitor?

Last edited:
Has it recently started? Does it go away after a few minutes? What, if anything, has recently been changed in or around the amp? You haven't told us anything which will help with fault diagnosis.

Hi DF96,

No. the humming doesn't goes off. The recent changed was the amp shared the same power source with my fridge. I don't think this is the reason as I have tried different power source.

Does it still hum with the audio input cables unplugged?

edit: you say it hums right after you power on the amp, you mean even while the tubes are cold and non conducting (while the amp cannot reproduce music)? Or it starts humming when the tubes are hot enough?

Last edited:
If a previously non-humming amp starts humming then two possible causes are a faulty (low value) smoothing capacitor or a faulty (heater-cathode leakage) valve. An oscilloscope would help. Is the hum 50/60Hz or 100/120Hz? Does it sound like a pure hum or a buzz?

The hum is 50Hz. I think is a buzz. I have recorded the hum using iphone. Attached here the file.

Attachments

• Humming.zip
    114.5 KB · Views: 34
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.