• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

plitron output w/ cfb usage ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked up a second plitron pat-4070-cfb output tx.. (got very good deals on both).
Specs are 70 watts, 4k pri and 5 sec, CFB and UL taps. So, that's 6400 pri w/ 8ohm sec.
Plitron's posted designs w/ these tx's have them w/ kt88's(or equiv) and being used w/ 4 ohm speakers, so 3.2k primary... I'm going to assume they'll be used w/ 8ohm speakers, 6400 primary.

What would you do w/ them? I'm thinking kt88(or equiv), simply due to cost and availability. Run them at as high a voltage possible and with a driver capable of ab2 (probably based off tubelabs 6l6 octal driver).
I don't know exactly what to plan for, as I see people saying they get no more than 20 watts out of a triode pair, to mentions of getting 75 watts out of a triode pair in ab2.

Should I be thinking about parallel tubes to get the most out of this TX? Or, is 60-70 watts for a pair in ab2 actually realistic?

Let me know what you'd do w/ them... at this point the only design criteria is finding a good use for these transformers.

There are just a handful of typical topologies available.
Most notably - Mullard 520, Williamson, floating paraphase - push pull (also known es GEC 88-50 amplifier), Hegeman CTII.
I built first 3, prefer GEC KT88-50.

Others, like twin coupled, aren't suitable for your particular transformer.

Additionally, there are very simple variants, which, due to very generic nature, can't be "branded", for example Dynaco 6AN8 based pre-driver + concertina splitter (or similar) / PP. Such topology was used by hundreds of mid-class amps in 60th.

BTW, you can take any KT88/6550/KT120 amp schematic you like and switch its output stage to UL+CFB mode, yielding (IMHO) best sonic qualities available.

With CFB you don't need triode connection, CFB gives characteristics very close to triode.

A pair of KT88 with 6.4K primary connection (which is your case with 8 Ohm load) will produce about 35 - 40W in UL+CFB. Building quad KT88 doesn't make any sense - you will need 1.9 - 2.2K output transformer for full power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.