• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Budget PP Iron: Transcendar or Edcor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Dynaco replacement Z-565 cloned transformers from the ST/SCA -35 are a bit more than budget from 3 available different sources are really well regarded so worth the extra $. The Magnequest is exactly original with 8 & 16 ohms secondary taps and the Triode Electrics & Dynakit parts version have different 4 & 8 ohm taps.

All are rated for 17W giving plenty of bandwidth at lower powers and they all have the 25% UL taps for EL84/6BQ5 tubes. They are all rated at 8K primary.

Last edited:
edcor or transcendar??

I haven't found any transformer brand that beats Edcor in terms of quality versus price, which is really what it boils down to for most of us unless you have loads of cash to throw around. I have built more amps than I can count at this point, using new and vintage output transformers. I'll wait on Edcor. The quality, cost (savings) are worth the wait. I have built with Dynacos, Hammonds, Edcors, Fosters, and some other brand I don't recall. The Edcors sound better than ALL of them.

Last edited:
I have had great luck with Edcors as well. I have used them in every amp I have made so far except for the Quad KT88 amp (Used Heyboer), and still used their chokes as they were a good value. I can't comment on how they sound vs other brands, but they are very nicely finished and you can order them most anyway you want them. Every one is made to order so you can have it your way. The down side is it takes about a month to get them. First thing I do on a new project is figure out the transformers and order them up from Edcor and by the time I'm ready to build they are showing up.

I have some from Heybor and while good value and can support really large cores for high power amps, they were sinfully ugly when I opened the box. They were easy to clean up but the Edcor's are perfect when you open the box.

Those are the two vendors I have used and would not hesitate to use either again.

Sandy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.