• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

so i get common tubes free... now i just need a project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay guys here is the deal.

I got an email from an uncle stating that he was going to sell about 500+ tubes soon, and that i could have a few of them if i had a useful cause for them.

I will be powering some accustat ESLs with this Amp, so prob needs to be 15W+, and push pull because another discussion said that push pulls like ESLs better.

So i need a project that will accomplish the following
1.) Use more common tubes (ones that he is likely to have A12ax7, kt88 ect....)
2.) Provide given power and have no forseen extreme negatives when paired with ESLs
3.) The iron wont cost me more that oh we'll say 120 (me student so poor)

Recommendations?

Thanks,
Brian

Give them all to Choky? I'm suprised he never says that here... ;)

They're relatively useless if they're all TV tubes. So many end up triode-pentode and other weird things that you just can't find enough uses for. Besides sync seperators and color decoders of course. :rolleyes:
Only things good for power from TVs are the dissimilar dual triodes (like 13GF7, FD7, etc., or single medium triodes like 6S4(?)), the triode/big pentodes (like ECL82/6BM8) and sweep tubes.

If he's got some audio tubes after all, there's plenty of schematics to be found.

Tim

okay well then lets say this...

lets forget for a miniute the free tube benifit and say that I just needed an amp that put out 15W of power (at least), and was well suited for ESL purposes. Are there any that you can recommend, preferably push pull, preferable with a site that give the schematics and a parts list.

Thanks,
Brian

Seems like there's a simpler way to do this. If your uncle has so many tubes, he probably knows his stock and what they do. So why not have a further conversation with him and ask which of his stock he considers good for PP amps - let him sort out a few that are suitable.
Failing that, here are some of the most popular tubes as voted for by tube lovers:
small tubes:
6SN7, 12SN7
6cg7
12ax7
6dj8
output tubes:
300B
6b4g
2a3
EL34
EL84
7591A
KT-90
KT88
KT66

First of all get the list, go to the TDSL at Duncan amps and look them up. Big sweep tubes make fine audio tubes. 6JE6C 6JS6C,6KN6 , not to mention the super 'spensive 6LF6 and some of the higher filament voltage ones( 20LF6 comes to mind, 24JE6C, get it?) will make a fine power tube. PP in Ultra-Linear with modest B+ and you can get your 25-30 watts in class A. 6BL7.6BX7,6SN7 are some more TV specific tubes which make fine voltage amp tubes, driver tubes and such. Plenty of good audio in a selection of'TV only' tubes.
regards,
Douglas

Partial List

Sorry to have taken so long guys. My uncle responded with a patial answer saying that of the 1500+ tubes he took a quick look and said he definitaly had several of the following.

6SN7
12SN7
12ax7
2a3
EL34

He is doing a compleate inventory later, but with these do you guys have any suggestions now as to which design i might want to pursue? Thanks, Brian

Hubba-Hubba!!!!,
Get them all. Now an overlooked area: rectifier tubes. 5U4, 5AR4, 5R4, 6AX4, 6W4, 6AU4, 6CA4, 5Y3, EY500 and a few others a few folks will probably chime in with. Not all are twin diode, some are singel diodes and you'll need two. 6AU4 is like this, nice tube though, long warm up, clean switching, tough as nails...

The list you posted offers many options for an amp. PP 2A3 for abour 8 watts, PP EL34 for 20-30 watts. 5687 is a great driver and amplifier tube 6SN7 and 12SN7 are also great tubes for front ends and pre-amps.
now the hard part, sorting the suggestions.
regards,
Douglas

6SN7
12SN7
12ax7
2a3
EL34

I'd consider two amps - you can bi-amp or have two systems or whatever.
Amp 1 - PP 6SN7 into 2a3 (look for circuits inc. 6B4G, same except heater)
Amp 2 - PP EL34 with front end of 6SN7 again probably

It just happens to be the case that 6SN7s, 2a3 and EL34 original tubes are very collectible and the most valuable of the above, so get a few of each for 'spares' and you will do very well indeed by your uncle.

so this is my first forey (prob not right spelling) into tubes, so i am going to ask for opinions on amps I have found... let me know your opinions.

Looking at EL34 designs:

Would this do the trick?

Or this design

And on this one, if it is a go design, where do i get +350V from?

Would you reccomend either of these? If not do you have any specific designs you would suggest? I think I do want to pursue the EL34 route to achieve somewhere near 25W

Thanks O experts of tubes

Brian

More optinons

Yet more options with tubes available... let me know what you think of these as well....

1.)EL34/6SN7 PP

or this

2.)EL34 50w

3.)or this , one which I can use the 12AX7 in and only be short one tube / channel.

4.) Or one ]this one[/URL] ]this one[/URL] which has nice documentation in terms of a parts list, and appears the simplest to my eye.... alas it does not say the wattage....

I have labaled with numbers for easy reference in responses. Bascially since i have never built these am and only beggining to learn about tubes I am looking for what you people think would sound best given the tubes....

Thanks Again,
Brian
B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.