current source... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2003, 10:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default current source...

merry christmas to everybody!!!!!!!!!!
how can i build a constant current source, probably with discrete, for my 6n1p cf, rated at ~4-6 mA? any designs?
Old 25th December 2003, 10:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

In it's simplest incarnation a CCD or a J-FET with the appropriate current (Idss) can be used.

Merry X-Mass to you too,
Old 25th December 2003, 11:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

There are several here, but try the BBMCCS
Old 26th December 2003, 12:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
You want tubes or SS? In either case it's very simple.

Tim
Old 30th December 2003, 12:09 PM   #5
ALBQ is offline ALBQ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Current Source

Costiss,
A very simple SS design is the C4S (John Camille) used in all of the bottlehead designs. Gary Pimm also has it on his site but, do not remember if included the formulas). Here is a schematic of a 6SN7 Foreplay w/different bias points. Note: use a MJE340/MJE350 in place of the 6519/6516 - my version of Circuit Maker does not have a model.
ALBQ

To adjust current:

Voltage Amp
I = .95/R1
R2 = B+/.002 (adj for 2mA)

Cathode Follower
I = .95/R4
R5 = B+/.002 (adj for 2mA)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gilles...-MainPage.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6sn7-c4s.jpg (26.1 KB, 783 views)
Old 30th December 2003, 12:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The ccs is drawn wrongly particularly the current source where the transistors are position in the wrong legs. Also anode of the first diode D1 should go to B+ not after. sink legs are fine but the biasing look odd. The cathode of the last led D3 in the cathode follower is place wrongly it should go to ground not the emitter of Q4
Old 30th December 2003, 06:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Yeah, thought something looked a bit WRONG about that... Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th December 2003, 09:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Yep - my bad

Thanks, Yep - my bad - like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6sn7-c4s.jpg (26.2 KB, 666 views)
Old 30th December 2003, 10:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
To adjust current
Voltage Amp
I = .95/R1
R2 = B+/.002 (adj for 2mA)

Cathode Follower
I = .95/R4
R5 = B+/.002 (adj for 2mA):
For the voltage amp the formula looks fine as the pnp drop is around 0.4-0.6max.
But for the cathode follower utilizing npn i think it should be 1.2/r4 atleast as the npn voltage drop is 0.6normally -0.7v
2ma for a 6sn7 seems very low right? they a dissapation of 5.5 watts combined or atleast 2watts per plate. Why run them so low? is that their sweet spot?
Old 31st December 2003, 12:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default 6SN7 op points

NickC,
I am playing around (trying to voice) a C4S 6SN7 on my test bench. The values on the schematic are really not where I am running it today. I started with a 6SN7 VTV-Foreplay mix based on the VTV 6SN7 and a table posted on Audio Asylum by Paul Joppa March 20, 01 --> ~330V B+ (VTV) and .9mA VA / 2mA CF (Foreplay 6SN7 op points). I really did not like how it sounded and have been playing with the circuit off and on for a month or so. Current circuit is 180V B+ with 500ohm VA for 2mA design/2.4ma measured and 270ohm CF for 3.5mA design/4.4mA measured. The main reason for the as designed/measured difference is I am not always changing the LED current set resistors each time I do a tweak because I am to lazy to replace all of the resistors for every tweak - remember is 4x boards/tweak. Once I get the circuit "voiced" how I like it, I will lock everything down with the correct values/settings/etc... Also, I agree with you, 1mA for a 6SN7 does not sound good IMO. That said, I am trying to get a mix between the VTV (dark, rich, depth, dead quiet but, lacks excitement - IMO) and the Foreplay (light, detailed, soundstage but, not much bass and sometimes, too light - IMO). I like aspects of both and am cross building the two designs. The C4S's adds life/sparkle/excitement while retaining the inky black background and dark/rich goodness of the VTV. When I get it right (+pun - see my previous schematic oops), will publish the schematic and pictures if anyone is interested.
ALBQ

Hide this!Advertise here!