• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

WE old tube question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's a rare one - a side contact tube!

It's a combined triode-pentode, indirectly heated with a 6.3v heater at 1A. I assume it was designed to be a frequency changer for AM bands. Pin connections are:

1 = grid 1
2 = grid triode
3 = cathode (both triode + pentode) and grid 3
4 = heater
5 = heater
6 = no connection
7 = anode triode
8 = grid 2
Top cap (or side cap) = anode pentode

I don't know the situation in Italy but in the UK such a tube is virtually unobtainable, so if your friend needs to replace it in his old radio he might have to drill the base out and adapt a 6K8 in its place. I don't have any info for a WE23 though...

On further investigation the WE13 was not designed to be used as a frequency changer, but as as an audio driver and output tube - the anode current of the pentode is 36ma at 250v. Very unusual for a side contact tube to have this configuration - you learn something new every day!

Seasonal Greetings!

Information about the WE13 is sparse (I'm checking in Babani's Radio Tube Encyclopedia of 1949!) but the characteristics of the pentode section are:

Va = 250v
Ia = 36ma
Vg2 = 250v
Ig2 = 4ma
Rk = 150 ohms
Anode imp = 7000 ohms
Power out = 4.5w

Hopefully this will help you get a good match.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.