• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Budget Iron for Low-Power SET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a low power (less than 2W) SET in the works and am searching for good output transformers with 5k primaries. The amp will be used mostly with full-range reasonably efficient 8-ohm speakers, although it will see occasional use with headphones. I have narrowed the choices to Edcor XSE, Edcor GXSE, and Transcendar "budget".

I have read good things about the Edcor XSE series on the Tubelab site. Would it be worthwhile to trade up to the GXSE series for improved frequency response? The cost of these is certainly appealing...

Also on the list are the Transcendar "budget" OPTs. These will cost at least twice as much, but appear (on paper) to be much better transformers. Reported frequency response and primary inductance look nicer.

What do you think? Are the Transcendars worth the extra cost?

Thanks all

+1 on the Edcor XSE transformers. I've run them with parallel 6s4a's and had incredible results. The bottom end below about 70hz doesn't have the punch but no complaints. The top end i measured at above 25khz before the waveform started to shrink. It was clean and even 70-25k.

I've been also curious about the 5W Transcendars, and am considering them for a small partial feedback SE amp using a pentode-triode and a 6P3S-E. I have Edcor XSE and GXSE floating around, so they could be fall-back options. I suspect there might be a little extra care in the interleaving of the Transcendars.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.