• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vacuum tube amp design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK,so im having a bit of trouble finding a power mains isolation transformer which the output is the same as the input,and is it really dangerous having a tube amp with no power transformer ?,grounding the chassis is a very important think here I guess...

Im thinking of a diode bridge right from the mains to get B+ VOLTAGE and then to the rest of the circuit.We have 230v mains which I think is enough for the tubes HT.

Also if there is no power transformer,and there is a fail,can the device which is providing the signal to the amp be damaged ?

OK,so im having a bit of trouble finding a power mains isolation transformer which the output is the same as the input,and is it really dangerous having a tube amp with no power transformer ?,grounding the chassis is a very important think here I guess...

Im thinking of a diode bridge right from the mains to get B+ VOLTAGE and then to the rest of the circuit.We have 230v mains which I think is enough for the tubes HT.

Also if there is no power transformer,and there is a fail,can the device which is providing the signal to the amp be damaged ?

DON'T ever connect the circuits of any audio equipment directly to the mains without using a transformer. It is extremely dangerous and can kill. This forum specifically does not permit dicussion of any circuits directly connected to the mains (apart from the primary side of an isolating transformer) for these reasons.

You must use a transformer somewhere in the power supply to provide isolation needed for the safety of users, and for the benefit of any other connected equipment. It most equipment the transformer would not have the same voltages on both sides. The primary side would be selected according to your local mains and the secondary (or secondaries) according to the needs of the circuit. And yes, you must always provide a sound earth connection to any chassis and exposed metal parts.

You can get mains-in to mains-out isolating transformers, but they are designed purely for isolation and not generally for use within audio equipment. I have one that I use in my workshop when I need to work on mains voltage stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.