• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Phono stage design considerations part 1: choosing 1st stage tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's an exceedingly odd reading of my post. I wouldn't be as annoyed by this if it weren't for the fact that Allen was a friend with whom I enjoyed quite a few really excellent technical and personal discussions, and whom I miss greatly.

What I did take away from that shootout was that this was an exceedingly poor way to come to any conclusions about electronics. That was also Broskie's take, and he was amusingly sarcastic about it.

18ma plate current. It is very high on the list of my favourite tubes for this application, only topped by EC8020 or WE437. I prefer it over E810F, E55L.
I used it with Lundahl LL1692A

Hi Thomas,thanks for you sharing this information,I would like to know which step-down model for the LL1692A to drive the 600 ohm RIAA? I check the LL1692A datasheet,it should be set as SE Line Output 3.5 : 1 /21ma Model,but anyway you suggestion will be great appreciate. thanks

BR
Leo

Last edited:

Attachments

• 6gk5 gain controlled.png
    6gk5 gain controlled.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 244
R.f. is not my main field, but I do not know of a frame grid tube being remote cut-off. Anyway as said, for a pre-amp it is used as the phono input tube, strictly a small signal application. (To my knowledge the remote cut-off feature only applies for larger signals; at low bias the Vg-Ia slopes are virtually the same for remote and sharp cut-off types.)

R.f. is not my main field, but I do not know of a frame grid tube being remote cut-off.
As another example, the 6ER5 is a semi-remote cutoff frame grid triode.
Anyway as said, for a pre-amp it is used as the phono input tube, strictly a small signal application. (To my knowledge the remote cut-off feature only applies for larger signals; at low bias the Vg-Ia slopes are virtually the same for remote and sharp cut-off types.)
Yes.

Attachments

• 6er5 remote cut-off frame grid tube.png
    6er5 remote cut-off frame grid tube.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 172
The GE datasheet for 6GK5 gives a good set of curves. Clearly gain controlled or semi-remote cutoff. Looks OK for small signals if you keep it up at 10 mA.

There is the 5JK6 7 pin frame grid pentode with internal Mu of 70, gm 18000. (there is a 6JK6, but those are very expensive and may be polluted with 6JL6 semi remote tubes, there is no 5JL6 fortunately)
The 5JK6 was on the $1 list a while back. I see one for $0.99 on Ebay.

Then there is the 6JC6 9 pin frame grid pentode with internal mu of 60 and gm 16000 which is still on the $1 list.

There is also the 6F12P, gm 19000, Mu 100 for T or P side, 9 pin.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.