• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hi; i am new to tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

my name is Yehonatn (Johnatan)
i am 22 years old from israel

i just recently started to be intrested in tube amplifier, after i heard one of my friend's uncle talking about it and how go they sound

i would like to have one of my own, but i want to build it also

the problem is there is so much information and i dont know where to start

what i a preamp, and when i need it

how to choose the amplifier the is good for my need (hearing music and movies - i am using a turntable, sherwood cd, music and dvd from my pc)

i would appreciate if you could give me some help with that, and guide me.

about the electrical circuits, well my father and my friends will help me although i do have some knowledge and experience building a simple kits (but not tubes)

i know i sound like a lamer of something like that but i really want to know and learn
(my friend tells me to go and buy a regular home video system but i really want something i made)

Thank you very much
Mary Christmas :) :xmastree: and Happy Hanuka...

Yehonatan.

Hi Yehonatn,

Welcome to diyAudio, and paticularly to the Tubes forum, which is my favourite :)

You are right: So much information. But half the fun is sifting through the information and understanding it.
There are many different viewpoints expressed there. You will have to form your own opinions.

My opinion is that the fewer stages a signal passes through, the better. For me, a preamp has no place (in an ideal world), except as a source selector and volume control. And these can be passive.

Happy Hanuka,
merry Christmas,
and,
Yuletide greetings...

thank you john

i would like to know if there is any specific website you can direct me to which contain the basic information, like what is what ( let say what is Push pull and what is single ended... etc..

some site which contain the main stuff i should read, something which will help me to organize the information, and guide me

Ask a lot of questions here and read all you can! I started with nothing in electronics and have managed to put together several extremely simple amps.

Building from a schematic is very different from designing. Then, there's the testing and tweaking! I think it is just a blast (no pun intended). It is easy to go buy something...hard to design and build. And, the first time your first amp plays music, wow! I still get nervous when I flip the switch on a new build and get excited when it plays!

I have asked lots of stupid questions--and still do! Lots of folks here are happy to answer.

Best wishes,
Rick

Konnan101 said:
I've been looking on google trying to find a place that sells tubes for a tube amp. Cant really find anything.

I'm not on my PC, so I can't give you a list from my sources, but googling I found a dozen straight away.

Triode Electronics in Chicago (cant remember URL, look in suppliers list on diyaudio source page) or
AES to start with.

Costs depend on type, brand, vintage, seller, perceived rarity/usefulness and a hundred other issues.
A decent beginner tube preamp can be built for <$US20 of tubes and a power supply, maybe $US100 total, without a fancy case.

thank you guys

your sources helped me alot and gave me the basic to understand

but since i'm not going to design my onw amplifier, i just want to build one
i have two 50w 6ohm sherwood speaker and i am using right now with sherwood system

i want to build a tube amplifier that is fits to those speakers

the music i hear is mainly rock, alternative, and metal
but also classic and jass

because most of the amplifiers i saw have only 2-18w p/c i dont know if it strong enough
maybe you can help me find a suitable amplifier

i want an amplifier that fits my speakers

i have read some information and now i know the difference between SE and PP , i know how the tube works

but i still need help finding what i need

that you very much again
and sorry for the lame questions...

yehonatan

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.