Transmitting Triode Amps - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2002, 08:49 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I might get corrected by a purist.....

I suggest considering the 807 tube, connected in triode mode. This might be a fit the spirit of your original question.

Plus those ceramic anode caps coming off the top of the tube look way retro-cool.

Aud_mot
Old 3rd June 2002, 05:26 PM   #12
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Aud_mot,

no you don't get corrected. The 807 can be considered as a KT-66 variant with an anode cap and a UX5 base. A beam tetrode.
It has been used with success in Williamson-style amplifiers designed for the KT-66. It has the same smooth sonics when wired in triode mode. It has a mu of about 8 then.

And it can be had dirt-cheap compared to the KT-66.

But: it is no high-voltage DH triode. IN SE-mode i would not expect more than 5 watts triode-wired.
Old 3rd June 2002, 10:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Being a heretic

I like the 813. It's not a triode, but is similar in characteristics to the 845 when triode wired. It needs less voltage drive than an 845, but a bit more power to the grid and can use the same transformers. There are a few people on audioasylum that've built them, and more in construction or contemplating it. I have a few, but 50W (PP) is waaaay more power than I need for my horns so it might make a bass head later. That will look the biz!. The 813 lights up even brighter than the 845. Besides there are lots of US made NOS 813s around, and excellent cheap new production coming out of China and Russia (GM13)

<a href="http://members.optusnet.com.au/~xx308/RCA813-100%20curves.jpg">813 triode curves</a>. Nice huh?
<a href="http://frank.nostalgiaair.org/sheets/079/8/813.pdf">813 datasheet in pdf</a>
Old 7th June 2002, 08:22 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default svetlana 572 anyone?

What do people think of the 572 family? It appears to be an interesting alternative to the 211/845, certainly from a voltage & cost perspective.
Old 10th June 2002, 01:22 PM   #15
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb Re: svetlana 572 anyone?

Quote:
Originally posted by gilid
What do people think of the 572 family? It appears to be an interesting alternative to the 211/845, certainly from a voltage & cost perspective.
Yes they're nice to use, sound fantastic, not quite such high voltages.
Unfortunately I believe they are now out of production.

**********vested interest************
I have 6 for sale on the Trading Post!!!!

Gilid, if you wan't some more advice / info in the '572's, I'll gladly give my experiences.
Either post here or e-mail me.
Old 10th June 2002, 05:57 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Svetlana's 572

Dhaen,

I was not aware that they ceased production. I would certainly like to know what your experience has been with this tube, what circuit you were using, etc. Since I want to build a SE amp, six tubes ought to last a long, long time!
Old 10th June 2002, 06:29 PM   #17
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Gilid,

I have run these in SE class A1, getting about 19W, and then in SE class A2 getting about 24W.
The A1 circuit was nothing special, actually quite similar to Ryoichi Sekido's circuit: http://www.cityfujisawa.ne.jp/~rsekido/audio/SV572-3SE/
but I ran into 4.5K transformers which I had modified (re-stacked laminations) from a pair of 6550 PPP transformers, connecting anode to anode to get 4.5K. Fortunately these were Sowter output transformers which had no varnish.

On the A2 circuit, I direct coupled to the grid from a really strong cathode follower (6550) running at 40mA. This was to provide a really low Z source, to minimise distortion that will occur at the point that grid gurrent starts to flow.
The thing to remember is that these low mu valves need a very large voltage swing to drive them fully. This means that the driver (or pre-driver in the case of the cathode follower driver) must have a choke or transformer in it's anode. Otherwise you need a high voltage valve also for the driver.

Unless you want to experiment, I would recommend Ryoichi Sekido's circuit.
Old 21st June 2002, 03:15 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

This would be great for a single ended amp.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/powertube.jpg
Old 21st June 2002, 04:38 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

You could try an 833a amp. This is the most powerful glass DHT triode ever made. Below is a Wavac amp which uses it and claims 100 watts of power in single ended mode.

Lancroft audio have a detailed schematic of a circuit you could use and will even supply the needed trannies. See link

www.users.bigpond.com/triode/
Old 21st June 2002, 04:41 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Sorry, didn't seem to get picture of the WAVAC 833a amp up last post.

Click the image to open in full size.

That is a kt-88 driving it if you want to get some idea of scale. Its a big tube and is sure to impress your mates.

Hide this!Advertise here!