Building the VTA, tubes4hifi PH16 Phono Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's certainly high praise considering the competition. Since I built one, you know I am a fan of Les Carpenters Yaqin 22LB, but the point is that it made me realize how important a good phono stage is. Your review is very enlightening and if the need ever arises, it gives me another avenue to consider.

My situation is a little different than yours in that I bought a Yaqin 13S tube amp which was a step up from what I had before. After I upgraded my phono pre-amp I went on a tube rolling bing with the 13S with very good results. It's amazing what the right tubes will do.

I really enjoyed your experience and your writings. It's almost sad that it's over.

Hi everybody!

I've also bought the PH16 (V7), already assembled and actually running in.

Very first impressions are of a very clear and transparent sound, extremely controlled, especially on edge of spectrum.
Of course will need much more listening stages, but definitely satisfied!

I've chosen the "other" configuration building this kit, let's say I do preferred the "all naked" tube setting...

*Just for reference, my "machinery" is composed of a Thorens TD125 turntable with Thorens TD14 arm, Sumiko BPS MkIII cartridge, Audio Analogue Bellini remote as preamplifier, Audio Analogue Donizetti monoblock as power amplifiers and DIY tower-speakers (Coral-Peerless tweeters and JBL woofers)

Attachments

• DSCN0106.jpg
    DSCN0106.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 1,010
very nice build eunos. great idea to build separate cases. i guess you put all components on the underside of the PCB?

Hi Michael (right?!)

That was an idea I always had in mind... PSU separate from main board, and Roy's kit lends itself perfectly to this!
I was also lucky to find the "perfect" chassis that fit both PCBs...

About position of components, these are on both sides on both PCBs... I'll add a pic made during assembly...

Attachments

• DSCN0092.jpg
    DSCN0092.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 1,008
Hi Michael (right?!)

That was an idea I always had in mind... PSU separate from main board, and Roy's kit lends itself perfectly to this!
I was also lucky to find the "perfect" chassis that fit both PCBs...

About position of components, these are on both sides on both PCBs... I'll add a pic made during assembly...

Thanks for the picture!

Michael

My PH-16 with separate PSU and phono preamp

I have begun listening to my nearly finished PH-16 Phono Preamp. I used Mundorf caps, Mullard NOS 6922, and separate chassis for power supply and preamp to isolate from potential noise. Needs to break in, but after about 4 hours, I am very pleased. Hoping for further improvement as I continue to listen. Sharing some pictures from the build. I still need to engrave the front plates and add an LED.

Kudos to Roy Mottram for the quality of the parts kit, instructions, and PC boards. I have done a bit of soldering over the years maintaining supercomputers and recommend the parts to novice or experienced alike. Roy also responds quickly to email questions during the assembly process.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A6JtdOXmJpsEkb

Hello:
On your review I have a kit in my hand now.If you have any new info from your experience please let me know.You mentioned a reference turntable and I just built a Jean Nantais style Lenco and it is fabulous-many say better than $20,000 us belt drives.You cannot go wrong.Join lencoheaven.
duett

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.