• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube article

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have always admired Eric's passion for tubes. He is a prolific writer and judging from his previous articles in various audio magazines I think that Eric has 48 hour days!

Thanks Harry for sharing this info with all of us. It is very good and all members on this forum should read the article.

Mohan

It's a great article. Thanks for reminding me about it. I lost it in a computer virus inspired crash a while ago, along with the whole HD, and I'm trying to rebuild my reference library.

Dunno if you've seen these <a href="http://www.aloha-audio.com/library/index.html">articles</a>, but you might also find them interesting. Being an engineer, I look to try to corroborate what I hear with what can be measured, and so do some of these.

Cheers

Attachments

• sign1.jpg
    sign1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 504
Hey Harry

I live in Dallas as well. How about we get together sometime and talk about our toys. I am in the beginning stage to build my own gear out of old junk. Output transformers are the big challange but I am rounding a few up.The 1st time I hooked a pair of SE mono blocks into my system I had an epiphany.Then I started shopping and reading the adds in the audio zines and so I have made it my quest to achieve the $50K sound for less than $5K. I might end up spending 50K in tools, but then I guess I will have to sell a pair of speakers or 2. I do get out and listen to as much "High End" as I can. That makes coming home a good thing. I can tell my wife how I saved $10,000 by not buying those cables,and how I learned that a thousand watts a channel is a sighn of quality(that happened!).I thought the 8watts were really kicken and that the sweet little SE 6BQ5 3watts were oustanding.
Well I did buy a 5 Henry potted choke yesterday out in Benbrook so this week is up!Guess I need to build something. I need a source for the straps used to attach the really big oil and paper caps used on electric motors.Can you build a good sounding amp without elecrolitic capasitors.?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.