Amp for Klipsch Heresy - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2013, 05:49 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
a pair of Heresy II's
Quote:
I don't have any of the midrange honk/shout or overly-bright FR that some complain about with Heresy's (no doubt when used with SS HT receivers).
Yes, Sodacose. The HERESY II doesn't have the same crossover as the HERESY I "HBR", and it is close to the mod that I have done according to my measurements on my HERESY I (I dicovered afterwards that the values used by Klipsch were 11 ohms and 21F...). This dampens the excess of level in the hi-mid region, so your note is not suprising, and like me you would notice the same using a solid-state amp in the hi-mid response.

I retrieved the complete explanation about my mod, with impedance and response curves. You really should consider this, thehof :

Click the image to open in full size.

A+!
Old 5th November 2013, 06:24 PM   #12
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks a bunch.

I guess I'll just have to test two sets to see how they respond.

The set I bought in 1977 are Black Ash finish. The set I bought second hand are black Birch Plywood finish, and are a bit ratty, but sound just as good. They may be Heresy II, I'll have to look and see if I can tell.
Old 5th November 2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I have the original Forte's. Same drivers I believe, different alignment and I find it fairly well balanced, no real shoutiness until you give it some juice. I think they, and Heresy's are fine on a small amp even if SS.
Old 5th November 2013, 10:07 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
I have the original Forte's. Same drivers I believe, different alignment and I find it fairly well balanced, no real shoutiness until you give it some juice. I think they, and Heresy's are fine on a small amp even if SS.
Forte II have different speakers than the Heresy I and a passive radiator coupled with a 12" woofer (which is I believe the K-24 like in a Heresy II ?).

I do not remember about Forte I, but I think that there was no passive radiator and a 15" woofer.

I am sorry but my memory is not faithfull and my Klipsch documentation is out of reach for the moment...

Nonetheless, good speaker units, indeed !

A+!
Old 6th November 2013, 12:00 AM   #15
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I originally ran a Sony STR-5800SD receiver with my Heresy speakers with no noticable shoutiness.

The STR5800SD is rated for 55W (US Model) and measured slightly more.

Using a LED VU meter (Radio Shack) I typically saw 1W peaks and 32mW average.

The STR5800SD was the last model before the SONY V-FET amp, which a friend who worked at a stereo shop advised me not to get because they were blowing output transistors. The receiver I got was the last one in stock. I need to dig it out one day and see how it sounds compared to a tube amp.

My sister had Heresy speakers as well, but with the smaller STR-2800SD. It didn't sound near a nice.

I was wrong on the first pair of Heresy, they are H-WB from 1977, but I bought them in 78. They are Black Laquer Walnut with black grill cloth. They are successive serial numbers 51R480 and 51R481.

The second set are 161Y862 adn 161Y864 HBR 1982 Birch Raw. So they are non sequencial, first series although near the end of the production.
Old 6th November 2013, 02:07 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

scott17 had some bulletproof KT88 SE amps for sale before (with quality components and instructions) and he has some other projects on the go. Might want to contact him to see what his suggestions are.

George at tubelab.com is another fine gentleman to deal with and his Simple SE is very flexible and there is a lot of write up, help, modifications, and pictures, of the various builds in on the tubelab sub forum here at diyaudio.com. Further information, pictures, the design process, and the instructions are on-line for your perusal at his website. Check it out and see if this suits your tastes.

With the money that you save, you can come back to diyaudio.com's store and purchase the Nelson Pass designed Amp Camp Amp; Class A solid state mono blocks powered by laptop bricks can probably never sounded as good as this running at 5 watts of power. And Nelson Pass recommends the use of regular components; so no exotic expensive parts that are hard to obtain. Yay!

Last edited by overtheairbroadcast; 6th November 2013 at 02:08 AM. Reason: forgot 5 watts
Old 6th November 2013, 10:46 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
originally ran a Sony STR-5800SD receiver with my Heresy speakers with no noticable shoutiness.
Yes. These amps works well... Here on the picture you can see my SONY STR-6055.

These amps have a damping factor of circa 30-40, where a 300B SE amp has only circa 2 : this explain why the shoutiness of an HERESY I is tamed (if your speakers are HI not HII).

Click the image to open in full size.

A+!

Last edited by tubelectron; 6th November 2013 at 10:48 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!