• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power supply question:twin choke input?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I was scrounging through my junk box yesterday looking for power supply parts and, not finding chokes with a high enough current rating for my intended application, got to wondering ...

I know that placing a choke in both the positive and negative legs in a full-wave bridge, cap input supply works.

Will it work with a full-wave, choke input arrangement?

In either case, how is the load current distributed between the two chokes?

I've attached a crude schematic of the latter case for reference.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 286
Shouldn't it be possible to parallel a pair of chokes to get half the value in Henries, but at twice the current capacity?

For example, if I had two 7H 150mA (140 ohms DCR) chokes, and I wire the pair of them in parallel, wouldn't that work the same as a single 3.5H 300mA (70 ohms DCR) choke?

--

Both chokes are from the same manufacturer and within a couple Ohms DCR, so that should work fine, and what I will likely wind up doing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there a reasonably simple way to guesstimate the inductance of a swinging choke at a particular current?

Thanks again. I really appreciate the info.

Hi!

I did find a swinging choke with a current rating large enough (2H-12H @ 300ma) but am unsure if it's appropriate to use for a choke input, class A circuit. I think not ... correct?

Yes, swinging chokes are meant for choke input duty. I don't have much experience with swinging chokes. As far as I understand they might be mechanically noisy (buzzing) since they are driven into saturation.

You can try and see if they work for you

Thomas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.