• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What is the driver circuit here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came across this old schematic, I think from a Williamson type amplifier. Can someone tell me what the name of that S6N7 driver stage feeding the KT-66 grids is. It looks like a push-pull configuration, but the bottom of R12 just seems to be hanging there. Does it have a name?
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 9.58.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 9.58.57 PM.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 158
Coincidentally, I looked a couple of posts down the page at SandyG's quad kt88 project, and he has an almost identical driver stage, but there is a connection at the bottom of the cathode resistors to ground. Could there be a mistake on my schematic?
Mike

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
V2 is a short tailed pair (R12 in this design is probably 390 ohms or so) a form of differential amplifier. The Williamson employs large amounts of global feedback to reduce overall distortion, this stage provides a substantial % of this gain. The design looks a lot like the later version of the musicians amp with a UL output stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.