• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How about an IXCP10M90 as a FETRON

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why make life difficult - an all IRF610 design. Readily available and cheap and very low Ciss gate capacitance.
First stage PP running at 100V 30mA each into a 4:1+1 interstage driving a PP pair at 100V 50mA Schaded for triode performance driving an OT. Should be good for at least the required output of 2.5Watts.

Basically this is a Push Pull Bride of Zen driving a Zen amp but with transformers.

I think i'll build it and see how it turns out.

Shoog

Shoog
Ciss is 100pf. Here you go:
http://ixapps.ixys.com/DataSheet/DS98809C(IXTP-U-Y01N100D).pdf

Ale

Many of these devices are simply not available anymore (they never caught on).
I am thinking that the IRF610 is great for the second stage as the biasing can be taken care of via the IT center tap. Its low capacitance and biases up nicely and is very easy to get.
However its not so ideal in the first stage as having an enhancement device there requires introducing caps at the input or an Input transformer to make it work. I have a balanced out on my preamp so it would be great to just drive the input stage directly. In this position a good depletion mode device or JFET would be great. It needs to have low capacitance and medium current (about 20mA) which is quite a tricky component to source. One of the Supertex FET's looks promising - the DN3145;

http://www.supertex.com/pdf/datasheets/DN3145.pdf

Ciss of just 120mA, could do service in both positions apart from the fact that its a surface mount device. Again though - not that easy to get hold of.

-----

In answer to the question, why transformer coupled. Two reasons, these FET's work best at high voltage or high current or both. I opt for the high voltage. Secondly, I have high sensitivity Vintage German fieldcoil drivers which would be very very vulnerable to transients and faults. i already fried a set a long time ago with my first experiments in valve buffered gainclones - its easily done. I like the security that transformers bring, I like the simplicity of design they afford, and I like the frequency response effects they bring to the mix. I personally think that the transformers are the thing that most valve enthusiasts like about the sound of the amps.

Shoog

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.