• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Corroded valve pins

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is exactly what concerns me although I thought that the alloys used in the pins were chosen to have a similar coefficient of thermal expansion as the glass. I do find it surprising that moisture can find its way past the glass-metal seal at all since they are perhaps 4mm deep. Is a copper brazing process used to join the internal part of the pin to the external part?

I am pleased to say that the seller has honourably offered full refund for destroyed tubes and 50% for the others. Under magnification the structure of the corrosion looks interesting. I am going to try to get a colleague to do an analysis of the material. I wouldn't be surprised if some acidic component of the cardboard was involved or that since the storage area was likely highly industrial perhaps oxides of sulphur or nitrogen.

Yup! you should see what it does to military cap badges after a few years in our humid atmosphere (I know someone who works in a local war and peace museum) nickel plating does not protect against this for long and the cardboard does not even need to be damp to touch for this to happened.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.