Problems with using tube models in LTSpice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A little help? I downloaded the large file in post #2. It contains three files for each tube. An Open Office file XML which I assume was originally a Microsoft Excel file? And one labeled 'movie clip' what is that? When I tried to open the first .inc file I opened it with notepad. It opened but I did not find the *^* mentioned that needs to be changed. To my surprise now when I try to open any of the .inc files they open in notepad. I downloaded a 6N13S model which is also in notepad. Was the *^* the first line of the .inc files? In the 6N13S file the first line is *$. I downloaded LT Spice XVII and have a file in my documents folder for LT Spice XVII with examples and lib. Is the lib folder where these models are supposed to go? I have noticed within the object section of Spice there are three generic symbols for triode, tetrode and pentode. Does the program attach the files to those symbols somehow?

Last edited by a moderator:
The simplest way to get going is to copy the text from the .inc file into a Spice Directive (Click Aa in the menu bar, click the SPICE directive button, paste the text into the box, click OK then place the text box on the screen). Then place the generic symbol, click on it and change where it says e.g. "tetrode" in the Value box to the name of the model, which appears after .SUBCKT in the model text. I've attached a basic example.

You can see in the model text where the ** are, these replace the ^ in the original Ayumi model, it is used in the equations to mean "to the power of".

Attachments

• test.asc
    2.1 KB · Views: 186
Ok, I haven't given up. What is so frustrating about this is three years ago I could actually use LT Spice. Can I use notepad to edit the files? And in from second post am I changing the ^ to ** . And lastly, I'm using the newest version of Spice. Spice put files in the documents of my computer. But there are folders within that folder like cmp, sub and sym. And files within sym like misc.

I used notepad to change ^ to ** for 2A3 and tried putting it in most of the folders and files but Spice still doesn't recognize them. I'm assuming when I get it right and I use object and go to the correct folder the tube model will show up. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help, and the extension of your patience.

LTspice triode drop-down symbol

Ok, I haven't given up. What is so frustrating about this is three years ago I could actually use LT Spice. <snip>
@mr2racer
How about we try a drop-down triode symbol and library?
Just place the triode-w1_dd.asy file (remove the ".txt" at the end of the file name) in your "sym\Misc" folder. Place the triode-w1.txt file in your "sub" folder.

Restart LTspice if already running and select component and located under "[Misc]" will be triode-w1_dd, select and place on your schematic. Right click on the symbol and on the "spice model" line under the "value" column, right click or double left click where it says "rightclickme" and drop-down box will appear. Choose your tube model from there.

Note: Everybody else feel free to grab this! Contains a butt-load of triode models. May contain some experimental models also. ;)

Attachments

• triode-w1_dd.asy.txt
    858 bytes · Views: 226
  • triode-w1_dd.txt
    195 KB · Views: 220
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
If you have quite a few tubes in the schematic, you can use the "include" directive, e.g., "inc. 6N13S.inc" to call the SPICE model, the actual text files of the models can be stored in the same directory as the .asc file. Of course, if you use the pull-down selection method from post #1510, then you simply select the model that you need, since they are already stored in the LTSpice library.

I've been fooling around with Spice. I put the generic triode symbol on a schematic. Then right clicked to open Component Attribute Editor. In the 'value' box I put 2A3. On the schematic the generic triode symbol is now labeled 2A3. Does that mean the model is attached to the symbol or is it just named 2A3?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.