• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

D3a preamp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is the concept:

Point is, is it worth pursuing this concept, or is it more practical to find another (SS or opamp) solution for BallSE conversion and after it use something like a 5842 with a CCS?

Attachments

• 2013-10-08 19.04.47-2.jpg
    2013-10-08 19.04.47-2.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 854
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cannot answer the question, to even partially answer that question you need to figure out the signal level at the output of the buffalo dac, is the output current or voltage, and what your target output level is at FS or at some level lower than that typical of the bulk of your program material. High level voltage outputs make it simple, at most a little gain is required. Next comes noise and how much you can tolerate, this is a big issue if doing I/V conversion passively, for example the analog path in my dac limits resolution to about 15 bits due to the analog noise floor. (I can get another bit, but that's about it)

Ok, let's see: the dac is current-output, giving approximately 16mA, 2V. About distortion, more zeros are always better,but I'm not going to witch hunt them. The power amplifier is an f5, a bit tweaked, something between v1 and v2 ang provides more than enough gain, so the preamp stage should be unity gain.

Wondering about topology and chosen operating point. I run D3A between 8 - 20mA depending on application with Vp 100 - 200V.

They were compared in a single stage common cathode RC coupled driver, CCS loaded, LED biased, between 8 and 14 mA, Vp 150-190v. Me and a musician friend found the E186F to sound better... and it has just enough swing to drive the GM70 to max power, but without any headroom, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use D3A with gyrator, choke, or IT, and generally run at highish currents. In the IT application I am running at 20mA, at about 180V. No solid state ccs or mosfets in the direct signal path. I find the sound beyond reproach and the measurements show excellent linearity. I do have a number of 6688 and will evaluate for future projects.

I use D3A with gyrator, choke, or IT, and generally run at highish currents. In the IT application I am running at 20mA, at about 180V. No solid state ccs or mosfets in the direct signal path. I find the sound beyond reproach and the measurements show excellent linearity. I do have a number of 6688 and will evaluate for future projects.

Could you post the schematic?

Since I'm running on a low budget, I'm leaning towards some 6v6 I already have, or maybe I'll try 6688 That I found cheap at ebay.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The 6688 seems like a reasonable choice and I assume you also have some D3A to play with?

I can perhaps post the schematic of the tube gyrator, it works and avoids sand in the signal path, but it is not quite as good as one implemented with mosfets obviously, and it is inefficient with plate voltage. It will get you close to mu, and has good psrr. Uses 5687..

What is the output voltage with the I/V resistors you are going to use?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I tried E180F, D3a, E280F, E810F (triode mode, mostly 10mA CCS load) as (300B) amplifier's first tube.

I have about prefer of them Siemens E280F. Best holographic space, microdynamics and clarity -IMHO-. D3a is most dynamic, but not as refined as E280F.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I/v is under investigation. It will not be a resistor, I'm testing some opamps that will do the iv and the ballse conversion. I'm between opa1644 and lme49880. Output voltage can be adjusted to needs.

Not much point in using tubes in since you are doing I/V with op-amps, it's an added complication to the signal path. Using resistors or transformers the tubes would make sense.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.