Groovewatt-Valve RIAA Phono Preamp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2013, 06:36 PM   #1
mltube is offline mltube  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Groovewatt-Valve RIAA Phono Preamp?

Considering building this preamp for a Pioneer PL-71 that I have just dusted off... bought for a really low price.

Has anyone here built the groovewatt preamp? How does it sound?
I have searched here a bit for the groovewatt, but did not see much, perhaps it was my search keywords selection. IDK

I have an AT-95 cart on its way since the ADC unit on my PL-71 was missing the stylus anyway.

This is the first decent TT I have acquired...
I will be building a few tube preamps starting with the Groovewatt design, and then explore other options.

My goal later this winter is to build a phono pre-amp using the 3a5's into a 71a power amp driven by the 112a. These are for now... just ideas floating around.

Have a desire for perfecting an all DHT set up, but until then exploring other circuits of IDHT designs.

Phono preamps are new to me so this is a new journey.

Thank you.. and have a great day!

Michael
Old 7th October 2013, 09:08 PM   #2
roline is offline roline  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Groovewatt RIAA

I did a version of it and it sounds great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcb4.jpg (578.0 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg riaa-pcb11.jpg (807.5 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg pcb001.jpg (937.0 KB, 394 views)
Old 8th October 2013, 12:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you!

Much thanks roline for your input...
This is my first that I will be building, and then phonodude preamp.
Old 10th October 2013, 04:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Is the PC board available for sale? Who/where?
Old 10th October 2013, 05:13 PM   #5
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

The PL-71 is a very nice table. It's motor is fantastic , the arm is wonderful and the rest is quite nice.

You will probably need to re-cap the 'table near the speed pots and such. Pull the old ones and replace with fresh.

Also play around with mats and feet. They make a marked difference on the '70s tables. At the very minimum try some vibrapods.
Old 10th October 2013, 07:45 PM   #6
roline is offline roline  United States
diyAudio Member

The PCB is a toner transfer etched in ZIp-Loc bags, DIY.......
Old 11th October 2013, 04:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you 6L6 for the info about replacing the caps! After the new AT cartridge arrived, I was so excited and could not wait to play. The speed control setting seems to hold steady, and it sounds fantastic! I found the service manual and will change them soon.

Thanks again
Michael
Old 11th October 2013, 04:15 PM   #8
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Replace the 35yr old electrolytics and you won't have to worry about them for the rest of your life.

Then start playing around with the mat and feet. I like the Funk Firm Acromat, but there are lots of others out there. Herbies, etc... As for feet, like I mentioned, vibrabods, sorbathane, it all makes a fantastic difference on a solid table.

And also look into wall racks - they are simply amazing... you will not believe how much clearer things get when the table is properly suspended/isolated.
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:36 PM   #9
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
The PL-71 is a very nice table. It's motor is fantastic , the arm is wonderful and the rest is quite nice.

You will probably need to re-cap the 'table near the speed pots and such. Pull the old ones and replace with fresh.

Also play around with mats and feet. They make a marked difference on the '70s tables. At the very minimum try some vibrapods.
This is an old thread but......

Keep in mid that I do not subscribe to audio fads and gadgets but.........

I just got some #2 "Vibrapods for my Poineer 112D

I created the "sandwich" using a half inch bamboo cutting board (about the same size as the plinth) which is supported by the Vibrapods. I got lucky and found just what I needed for about $7. It's rock solid and perfectly flat.

The TT is on the cutting board supported by cones (with bases). I originally got the adjustable cones mainly for leveling the TT (the floating (platter and tone arm assembly).

Now... the floor in my ground floor apartment is a concrete slab under the carpet so, floor vibrations are not a problem .
However, my audio rack is not he most stable and the (glass) shelves are prone to slight vibrations at times.

So yes the vibrapads did make a bit of an improvement..
Old 24th April 2014, 02:16 AM   #10
gofar99 is offline gofar99  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Groovewatt

The preamp is a project on the diyaudioprojects.com site and a lengthy thread is on that forum. Be sure to read the thread as there are a number of updates in it.

Hide this!Advertise here!