• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

where can I buy fully assembled tube amplifiers here in the U.S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whats going on guys. i am about to purchase a pair of Ellis Audio 1801b's. I am no scienist..so building a tube amp is not an option. I am looking to spend under $2k for the tube amps. The amps will be used on a regular basis ( homeaudio & Hometheater use). I am looking for a good amp to push the Ellis Speakers. Also are Tube amps reliable??? when compared to a solid state amp???

I like my music relatively loud.....I am not totally sold on tube amps...I see tube amps rated @15Watts per channel...i'm like what the &%$#@#@...Is this enough power to drive my speakers loud enough with some sort of clarity....
But anyways..i do not want to bore you guys...just recommend some online sites that sell Good quality tube amps in the United States.

Thanks.

scientist1 said:
I am looking to spend under $2k for the tube amps. The amps will be used on a regular basis ( homeaudio & Hometheater use). I am looking for a good amp to push the Ellis Speakers.

I looked up your speakers. At 84/85 dB/1W/1m you're either going to need a lot of power, listen softly, or use them as headphones.

Also are Tube amps reliable??? when compared to a solid state amp???

Depends on the design and how well it's built. But usually, yes.

I like my music relatively loud.....I am not totally sold on tube amps...I see tube amps rated @15Watts per channel...i'm like what the &%$#@#@...Is this enough power to drive my speakers loud enough with some sort of clarity....

Horses for courses. Your speakers are 85dB/W which is very inefficient, and mine are around 106dB (or 100x more efficient than yours), so 15W is too much, even VERY loud in my large room. For you, I suspect it won't be even close to enough.

I'd suggest you buy a big hog SS amp like a Bryston.

But anyways..i do not want to bore you guys...just recommend some online sites that sell Good quality tube amps in the United States.

$US2k isn't going to get you anything decent new in a high power, ie >50W tube amp.
Try Audiogon

or, if you must have tube amps, sell your speakers on ebay and get something more efficient.

I dropped my B&W's that were 89db/w/m for some Klipsch that were 98db/w/m and i never got my 8 watt per channel tube amp up above 3 on the volume knob. I probably could have gotten away with a 2 watt / channel tube amp.

-Maz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.