• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC88 with 12V heaters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, Ian for the comprehensive explanation, I can see the thought you have put into this and think your design choices are about as close to optimum as possible. Curious what if any effect does cranking up the quiescent current slightly (<= 10mA) have on linearity assuming adequate supply margin and dissipation in the 8416?

Dissipation becomes an issue. There is 150V across each triode which at 10mA is 1.5W dissipation for a total of 3W in the tube. There are various dissipation figures for the 6922 depending who's data sheet you read but none of them go as high as 3W. I have not acutally tried it at or near 10mA so I don't know how the linearity is affected. Simulations show that at 5.7mA and no NFB, the 6922 SRPP creates 2.1% distortion at 20V rms into 5K with a 300V supply. Changing the operating point to 11mA increases the distortion to 2.5% which seems counter intuitive, but if you reduce the load to 2K4 and repeat, the distortion drops to 2.3%. With a 10K load its close to 2.4% This is the old optimum load for the SRPP thing I think.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

If filament current is abundant, perhaps JJ's ECC99 as the buffer, instead of a 6922 "equivalent", would work out. You could crank IB up, without fear of exceeding the plate dissipation limit.

Attachments

• JJ ECC99 Data Sheet.jpg
    JJ ECC99 Data Sheet.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 258
Ian,

If filament current is abundant, perhaps JJ's ECC99 as the buffer, instead of a 6922 "equivalent", would work out. You could crank IB up, without fear of exceeding the plate dissipation limit.

The ECC99 is an interesting tube. I use it as a substitute for the 6922 to drive headphones. I run them at about 15mA. There's only one problem - the module these fit in is just wide enough to take a 6922 - the ECC99 is too tall.

I have ordered a few 12AV7 off eBay. The 12AT7, 12AV7 and 6922 all have a similar mu but gm increases as you go from the AT7 to AV7 and to 6922 so plate resistance drops in the same sequence. I think explains why the AT7 distorts so much. I am hoping the AV7 will be better and good enough for this application.

Cheers

Ian

12FQ7 might be worth a shot. You won't get the middle shield like in the 6CG7/ECC88, however they're cheap, less gain but should work. Or 12DT8 (more gain).

I use d 6CG7 tubes in my earlier designs because they are effectively a 6SN7 in a noval bottle. They have very low intrinsic distortion and in a mu follower they perform very well into a 10K load but they struggle into 5K. Despite that, they are a lot taller then the 6922 so there's not enough headroom to fit one in unfortunately.

Cheers

Ian

I have ordered a few 12AV7 off eBay. The 12AT7, 12AV7 and 6922 all have a similar mu but gm increases as you go from the AT7 to AV7 and to 6922 so plate resistance drops in the same sequence. I think explains why the AT7 distorts so much. I am hoping the AV7 will be better and good enough for this application.

As you are trying the 12AV7, consider the 5965, which is the industrial version and rather well thought of.

Ian - any updates on the 5965 vs 12AV7? (a point you made about the 6CG7 a few years back put me on the right track with tube gear...so I hold your opinions in high esteem!)

I have not got round to trying either of them yet. I have been looking for LTspice models for them but the only ones I have been able to find on the net give me syntax arrors or just don't work at all.

Cheers

Ian

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Try this one:

* Generic triode model: 5965
* Copyright 2003--2008 by Ayumi Nakabayashi, All rights reserved.
* Version 3.10, Generated on Sat Mar 8 22:42:06 2008
* Plate
* | Grid
* | | Cathode
* | | |
.SUBCKT 5965_AN A G K
BGG GG 0 V=V(G,K)+0.61035688
BM1 M1 0 V=(0.024336203*(URAMP(V(A,K))+1e-10))**-2.1648233
BM2 M2 0 V=(0.40929668*(URAMP(V(GG)+URAMP(V(A,K))/24.272617)+1e-10))**3.6648233
BP P 0 V=0.0045273524*(URAMP(V(GG)+URAMP(V(A,K))/59.303235)+1e-10)**1.5
BIK IK 0 V=U(V(GG))*V(P)+(1-U(V(GG)))*0.010017704*V(M1)*V(M2)
BIG IG 0 V=0.0022636762*URAMP(V(G,K))**1.5*(URAMP(V(G,K))/(URAMP(V(A,K))+URAMP(V(G,K)))*1.2+0.4)
BIAK A K I=URAMP(V(IK,IG)-URAMP(V(IK,IG)-(0.0023786712*URAMP(V(A,K))**1.5)))+1e-10*V(A,K)
BIGK G K I=V(IG)
* CAPS
CGA G A 3p
CGK G K 4p
CAK A K 0.5p
.ENDS

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
You are welcome, glad it worked out for you, all the credit goes to Ayumi who built the model. He has many more models at his site in case you are interested. To use those models in LTSpice, you need to manually edit the *.inc files by replacing all the "^" with "**" in the text. I think you will find those models superior to the ones by Koren, Munro, etc.

You are welcome, glad it worked out for you, all the credit goes to Ayumi who built the model. He has many more models at his site in case you are interested. To use those models in LTSpice, you need to manually edit the *.inc files by replacing all the "^" with "**" in the text. I think you will find those models superior to the ones by Koren, Munro, etc.

Thanks for the link. That is a very impressive library of tube models. Should be more widely appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Yes, please help to spread the word - people should stop using the Koren and Munro models since the grid currents are poorly modeled (if at all). When you distribute the Ayumi's models, just be sure to include the top three lines of the SPICE code, as it's his copyrighted material.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.