• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE GU-50/6CB6 Pentode Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ripped up my old 5 channel 807/6cb6 based amplifier because I need to rebuild into a new rack mountable chassis. Decided to go with a completely new design.

Still havent ordered any parts yet. PSU design was inspired by Peter Millett's DCPP.

This will still be 5 channels just like the old one. About 40 mA per GU-50, probably around 8 mA per 6CB6 to match old amp. Of course ill be playing with bias as i made it adjustable :)

Just wanted some potential commentary before i ordered the psu parts.

Ill be using different mosfets and of course better choice/fewer zeners to get the required voltage. i ran with the stock parts in the program

Attachments

• PSU.asc
    5.4 KB · Views: 50
  • psu.png
    psu.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 556
  • gu-50.png
    gu-50.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 566
  • psu2.png
    psu2.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
Hmm, worth a try. But i have doubts that -48v is enough to keep the anode current down. might need to order another/series two 48v supplies together.

Im guessing 300v would be sought after to obtain a flatter curve?

just realized i typo'd out the intended plate current for gu-50's (40 mA)

Last edited:
I am just about done with the chassis wiring. all the major components are in place but its taking a bit of time to carefully solder to the tabs on the plug i chose for inputs/outputs. Slow progress as i have been distracted and busy with work lately and have been working on it in sessions. also need to resolve a issue i had with a resistor.

Amp is completed, but i need a new mosfet for main b+ ripple filter. the one i have there failed due to a failed zener diode

otherwise works exactly as intended. the fixed bias on the preamp works wonderfully.

i went with 500v and 6au6a's in the preamp positions

Attachments

• WP_20131111_001.jpg
    WP_20131111_001.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 92
for anyone that cares. this reflects current state of the design:
sorry for a little bit of messiness in diagram showing lowish voltage design

the lm338 is only running one of the 6AU6A's, the other 4 are running in pairs of two off the 12.6v supply. a bit more power efficient that way anyways.

Attachments

• psu.png
    psu.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 85
  • gu-50.png
    gu-50.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.