• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for 52dBs or more MM phono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Eli,
A much more modest rectifier could be employed. Power consumption per channel should not much exceed 20mA, slight variations are likely due to variations in transconductance.

The power supply consumes significant current as well.

I have a fair number of vintage 5AR4 running in low current applications, they will still be running fine when I am long gone.

It runs a lot of hours and since completed has not had any downtime. Listening to it right now in fact. :D

Interesting Preamp KevinKr. I'm also using SPU's. My table is a restored 301. I'm built a step-up transformer using a pair of Hashimoto HM-3 step-ups into a McIntosh C22. It sounds great but I love playing so I may build your incredible phono pre. I'm playing with the idea of Battery PSU using 6 48v batteries for the ht and some others for the heaters. As long as I can get 8 hours from a charge I should be good.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting Preamp KevinKr. I'm also using SPU's. My table is a restored 301. I'm built a step-up transformer using a pair of Hashimoto HM-3 step-ups into a McIntosh C22. It sounds great but I love playing so I may build your incredible phono pre. I'm playing with the idea of Battery PSU using 6 48v batteries for the ht and some others for the heaters. As long as I can get 8 hours from a charge I should be good.

Bear in mind that the input cascode has absolutely no PSRR at all, and the matching supply was designed with low output impedance and extremely low noise expressly for this reason. Honestly I am not sure stacked battery supplies will measure up on either count. You can always build the matching supplies later if you need to.

Per channel B+ current draw is only about 20mA so battery life should be OK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.