• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Winter is coming... Time to start GM70 SE parafeed amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a ham radio operator for decades, I've worked on a lot of RF amplifiers. Once worked on one with 7500v on the plate.
I got shocked once on a 1800v amp. I was shorting the caps to ground before servicing it and the voltage jumped through the insulation on the screwdriver, ran through my arm and popped open a 1/4" opening on my elbow...
Be careful
Mark
Remember our bones are made of conductive metal (calcium).
I backed away from anything approaching 1000V a long time ago, my limit is 400V.

Shoog

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Most of the shock current,

tends to flow in the bone marrow / body fluid. The more current that flows the more burning creating carbon the pressure can build up and split/ break the bone, current increases etc. The skin resistance is the main protection but breaks down very quickly. Its very hard to completely isolate yourself from current return because the ground you stand on is Earth and resistance of shoe souls etc have an impact.

However back to topic :).

Regards
M. Gregg

I had the biggest problem with the copper version of the GM70, the graphite plate ones on hand seem to settle down quickly and permanently.
Probably because the copper ones are, by and large, older. Ulyanov stopped manufacturing the copper plates in the early '80s, while they made Graphites right up until 1994.
BTW, the only trouble I've had with either was a copper plate, (but it was just one).

Strangely, the steel plate GM-70, which Foton haven't made since the '50s, don't seem to give anyone (lucky enough to have them) any trouble.
I've had the pleasure of borrowing a pair to "break them in" for a client, and they settled in quite admirably. I wish I could afford a pair! (They seem to have the "best of both worlds" – the copper plate's magic mids and the graphite's extended bottom).

....I wasn't even aware that steel plates existed...
They do indeed!
GM-70 STEEL -1.JPG

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Actually the iron plate version are considered by some to be sonically the most desirable. I have not yet run across any although I do look from time to time.

I have a quartet of 1960s vintage graphite plate GM70s made by "Souz" on the way. Will see what they are like when I get them.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    472.7 KB · Views: 506
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.