• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Winter is coming... Time to start GM70 SE parafeed amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
doubts in wire specifications

I'm finding a good 1000vdc working wire for my GM70 amp project.
I have few meters of Alpha Wire 18AWG 5877 PTFE rated 200C / 1000V RMS (military applicable specifications MIL-W-16878/5 type EE) but also in the same pdf the specifications for AWM/STYLE 1180 says 200C / 300V RMS.
I doubt about if I can use this wire as is or needed a double insulation to avoid corona effect.
Anyone knows how to read these specifications?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
have I seen right when noticed a few GM70 schematics with B+ 500V, and -500V bias :confused:

If I understand your question - His schematic shows +500 on the plate and -500 under the cathode ccs. The two total 1000VDC. If the current is set to give ~90mA per tube, the circuit will divide the total 1KV to find the ratio of Vccs and Vp-k that work for the GM70. By the curves I have it would be something around 915Vp-k and Vg -85V.

I'm finding a good 1000vdc working wire for my GM70 amp project.
I have few meters of Alpha Wire 18AWG 5877 PTFE rated 200C / 1000V RMS (military applicable specifications MIL-W-16878/5 type EE) but also in the same pdf the specifications for AWM/STYLE 1180 says 200C / 300V RMS.
I doubt about if I can use this wire as is or needed a double insulation to avoid corona effect.
Anyone knows how to read these specifications?

I think 1000vRMS is not safe enough (inductive spikes can go higher). I used 4KV insulated transformers and 4KV rated Pomona wire, from Mouser.

Hello.
Has anybody considered auto-biasing the GM-70 tube with not-a-cathode-resistor, but rather with a 230V/40W or 230W/60W incandescent light bulb ?
Bypassed with say 100uF/200V and (maybe) and additional electrolythic ?

The bulb is a power PTC device, so it will probably do much more than just auto-bias.
It will probably provide some risk of non-symmetrical "negative-feedback", hence that is why I mention the bypass cathode capacitor.

What happens if the bulb burns and opens circuit ? Does 1500V on the anode, with the grid at GND potential, and no cathode current, constitute a hazard ?

There would be an interstage transformer at the grid of the GM-70 ...

Ideas ? / comments ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.